Sharing a printer on a Mac to a PC

P

pmkprog

I have an eMac running 10.4 and I want to share my USB Epson printer with my laptop running Vista Basic.
I also want to use the Mac Dropbox also.
The laptop running Vista can see the Mac on the network, but won't allow me to login. It gives me an error when trying.
Also, does it matter that the laptop is wireless to the router and the Mac is hardwired?

Re: Sharing a printer on a Mac to a PC

I wouldn't worry about the network topology.

The thing that keeps the Mac/Windows relationship all snafubar is password encryption types. No one has yet to hold a large caliber hand gun to my head so I have no Vistas in the building. I'm just relating to past experience where the client and server somehow think they agree on the password encryption type but then fail. The Mac does what it does and you can't change it but you may be able to drill into the windows security policy settings and see if you can get it to pass clear text user and passwords to the Mac's server daemon.

Sorry, nothing more than a general direction.

I had to go into the registry and change a value to get the PC to allow me to connect to the Mac.
That works, but the printing doesn't even though the laptop sees the printer through the Mac.

I'm closer.

I'd be very curious to know if that works.

Other than that, how does it fail. You say you can "see" the printer. Can you complete the printer setup in windows or no?

I've got the same type of issue with my HP all in one printer hooked to the Mac. Windows can see it but printing to it from windows does not work. Looking through HP's web site I have found that HP has made this particular printer so it cannot be used across the network. They did a great job of it too as nothing I've tried has worked.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back