Sheet registration on Canon 7010VP

SlaveToTheMan

We're starting to run a lot more jobs that are 18-24 up on heavier substrates and having a difficult time keeping front-back registration. We get it all dialed in, but part way through the run, say 100-150 sheets, it's "growing" and gets to be out as much as 1/16"-1/8" at the tail. The job I'm looking at now is an area roughly 13" crop to crop and centered on a 12x18 Finch 80#C. I'd actually rather run it on 13x19" but the problem is much worse at the larger sheet size.

Is this expected behavior on these machines? And if it is, how is the bindery supposed to compensate?

That is not expected at all. We run a 6010 Non VP and if we mark gripper and guide and jog properly (Like a press job) then a variance of 1/32 of an inch across the run is a lot.

Canon has a customer expectation doc on this machine get a copy. Your registration is way out of spec.

Also I didn't think it mattered in digital but jogging to gripper and guide before the first cut makes a world of difference.

EDIT: I Just found the Canon brochure. Registration is listed as .5mm or about .02 inches which is less than 1/32 of an inch.

Last edited:
Yeah, the Canon tech showed up after I posted. Just needed a set of wheels replaced that hold the sheets to the side guide. They're dialing it back in now, if it holds then I'll be satisfied.

Funny, I asked what we should expect for registration and he said it varies so greatly from each shop's standards, some techs would have told us that much movement was acceptable! He's getting to know us though & that we're pretty particular, I just wanted a straight answer on how much to reasonably expect this machine can produce. It's no Indigo, but I never thought it was - unlike the salespeople & management. ;)

Understood. The number I gave you is in the sales brochure so, now you have a target. Our machine has been remarkably consistent for the 14 months we've had it and we are really pleased. You're right it's not an Indigo but it's pretty darned nice at about 1/4th the price. :)

Hi, ive used a 7000vp for over 5 years now. you can expect these shifts every time the wheels will get bad. BE sure they also replace the black roller just after the E1,2 module. If these parts are in top shape youre imagepress will register better than any other digital press.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back