sheetfeed rollers

REYES1377

Just looking for opinions on type of rollers are being used, for going back and forth between UV and conventional. For many years i have used Bottcher Chameleon. Very good roller, but very expensive. Is there anything else out there that can compete?

Thanks in advance

No! I also used Bottcher for years on a 41" KBA and a 29" ManR and they were great! Now with a different company, we are using Rota Combo rollers and they didn't even last a year??

You have good experince with the DUO-FLO? The rep has been in here lately and kind of leary on giving them a try. They are priced great! But you know how that goes.

You'll never know unless you give them a try. They are priced very competitive and perform quite well.

Pacesetter has a series called duo-flex which is designed for switching between conventional/hybrid & UV. Not sure how they are priced compared to Bottcher but could be a very good alternative.

Freeman, how long does Bottcher last compared to Rotadyne? Could the wash be a factor?

Ret Heidelberg Instructor.

Ret Heidelberg Instructor.

Sometimes you have to bite the bullet and pay for good quality. I believe the phrase "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." might apply here. But by all means shop around, maybe there are good quality rollers out there at a lower price.

Pacesetter has a series called duo-flex which is designed for switching between conventional/hybrid & UV. Not sure how they are priced compared to Bottcher but could be a very good alternative.

Freeman, how long does Bottcher last compared to Rotadyne? Could the wash be a factor?

Our Bottcher rollers lasted for 2-3 years, with a good roller maintenance program(Febo & CalciumFix). We also used a UV wash always. The Rotadyne rollers lasted less than a year( good quality.. unfortunately still using them now.) They have scratching all over them and are uneven. We are using their "suggested" wash???? Take it for what its worth since they are now owned by ManRoland as well.

Our Bottcher rollers lasted for 2-3 years, with a good roller maintenance program(Febo & CalciumFix). We also used a UV wash always. The Rotadyne rollers lasted less than a year( good quality.. unfortunately still using them now.) They have scratching all over them and are uneven. We are using their "suggested" wash???? Take it for what its worth since they are now owned by ManRoland as well.

I have to pay more attention to industry news, I never heard that Rotadyne was owned by Man Roland. I knew they had signed an agreement to supply MAN with rollers for their presses but had'nt heard they had been bought by them.

My mistake then.. it was the impression that I got from one of ManR sales manager. Must have meant the preverbial "our rollers" from them.

Freeman- I agree with you about Bottcher rollers and the maintenance. Having spent 16 years as a press demo guy I've seen what inferior rollers can do. As the paper gets worse these days rollers need more and more attention. Bottcher has definitely done a great job in producing a great product. Definitely a shame that by comparision there isn't much out there that lasts as long as they do.

I have to pay more attention to industry news, I never heard that Rotadyne was owned by Man Roland. I knew they had signed an agreement to supply MAN with rollers for their presses but had'nt heard they had been bought by them.

Heidelberg have now signed a deal with rotordyne too. I'm told that this is purely because rotordyne have the manufacturing capabillities that Heidelberg require. Anyway we've been here before and nothing's changed. Westland make the best sheetfed rollers. I run an XL 105 printing Bentley and other top car companies brochures. I've tried bottcher and rotordyne and they are both pants!! Just cheap rubbish! You get what you pay for let me tell you! Rotordyne rep admits his product is inferior but loves to tell me it's cheap!! Pan damper rotordyne= £220 pan damper Westland= £400. You do the math people

Reyes1377
I have been in this biz for 33 yrs. and used rotodyne, westland, bottcher and others and have found the same as most everyone said in this thread that by far bottcher is paramount. like the one fellow said in this thread "sometimes you just have to bite the bullet". The saying I use is "never be afraid to buy the best, that way you won't ever be disappointed"
bill

Reyes1377
I have been in this biz for 33 yrs. and used rotodyne, westland, bottcher and others and have found the same as most everyone said in this thread that by far bottcher is paramount. like the one fellow said in this thread "sometimes you just have to bite the bullet". The saying I use is "never be afraid to buy the best, that way you won't ever be disappointed"
bill

What type of machine do you run currently?

Bottom line is you get what you pay for... The time it takes to change rollers and cost involved Botcher will be cheaper in long run.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back