Shingling in Preps and crop marks

Prepper

When shingling how do I get rid of the extra crop marks? Where it shingles a page I end up with 3 marks, a fold mark in the middle and one on each side of it showing how much it was shingled?

Thanks,
Terry

Are you sure the crop marks you refer to are "extra"? What happens if you do exactly the same thing but set shingling to zero? Do you get "less" crop marks?

Al

Extra crop marks

Extra crop marks

Yes, they are extra, I even remade the pdf file with no crop marks on the pages and still get 3 marks. I've attached a pdf of a mockup print out and you can see the extra marks on there even. Any ideas?
Thanks

Attachments

• Shingled crop marks.pdf
    124.2 KB · Views: 239
Are you referring to the crops marks located on the left side of page 27 half way up the sheet? and the one to the right of page 28 half way up the sheet?

From the PDF I am looking at. It looks like there is one extra crop mark hanging .125 inches outside of the page, making it look like it needs to trim in the gutter.

If you turn off shingling does this crop mark go away? If so try switching the shingling to reverse number. IE: if you are currently using .25 try -.25.

Are you using independent pages?

Can you post your template file ziped exactly as was used for that output? We don't need any of the marks, just the template file. If there is more than one sig in the template, just mention which one is used in this output in the body of your message.

Al

Last edited:
This might help.

This might help.

You can turn the shingling of crop marks off by modifying the default profile.
The quote is from Preps help.

"When you move a page, the crop marks move with it, because crop marks are associated with pages rather than press sheets. If shingling or bottling is applied, this affects the crop marks as well. In some cases, crop marks should not shift with shingled pages. To turn shingled crop marks off, you can edit the default profile and set SHINGLECROPMARKS to NO. See Use a text editor to modify a profile."

Mark

From ecentral...
See attached PDFs...

Attachments

• 1.PrepShinglingTechNote.pdf
    59.8 KB · Views: 301
  • 3.StepsToChange....pdf
    25.8 KB · Views: 258
I would still be interested to find out if the "extra marks" that appeared in Prepper's pdf posted earlier are crop marks or some other line marks. Having the actual template file (not a screen capture of the output, nor the output pdf) would allow this to be determined.

Would Prepper please post the actual template file?

Thanks,

Al

We have seen the same thing with Preps.
The extra marks are indeed crop marks from shingling the page.
We decided to leave them on because it's a quick way to verify that shingling is on and that all of the pages are being shingled correctly.

Shingling preps thought.

Shingling preps thought.

I have seen this before in a jdf workflow. What worked for me was to place the crop marks, then delete any crop marks that are on the fold...it makes sense that if you consider that crop marks should be made only where you trim the page, not where you fold. Fold marks do not shift with shingling. Unfortunately I was never able to come up with a solution using smart marks, but the above solution worked in jdf.

Hope this helps.

Crop Marks Shingling with Pages

Crop Marks Shingling with Pages

Thanks for your help, I am familiar with editing settings in the profiles so I will try that. It is indeed crop marks like someone else here said, not at work right now so can't attach template anyway. Just wanted to get rid of them to keep confusion down in bindery.

Thanks again,
Terry

I must be doing something right (or wrong) because I never get this on shingled jobs in Preps 5.3.2 on Mac 10.4.11.

Creeping crop marks

Creeping crop marks

Al, I'm doing PDF to PDF also but saw on another forum where someone implied they have this issue with saddle-stitched jobs but not flat work?

I was doing a PDF to PDF saddle-stitched job when first noticed this.

Have done shingling with our text jobs which are PDF to .ps and have not seen this on those jobs before.

Agree with the earlier post that crops aren't needed in the fold anyway so could just eliminate those I guess.

Thanks again,
Terry

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back