Short Run Envelopes

Steve_S

Does anyone have a good suggestion for a decent laser printer for addressing envelopes, mostly under 500 but occasionally up to 1000? Not really looking to spend what the Xante costs right now (really only need B&W) but need something that is reliable. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Hi Steve,

After using a Xante Ilumina 427gsm for around 3 months, successfully printing zero jobs to acceptable quality I can add my own opinion to the dozens of others that say "don't buy the Ilumina". I will freely state I bought it second hand at 500,000 prints, but with its lifespan rated in the millions I would expect it to print saleable quality at this stage.

Every printers' work is different, it may be that the Ilumina is good for envelopes, but the mass of reviews and common opinion that Xante printers are more trouble than they're worth may be accurate for most. I have received samples from OKI and compared them to the Xante samples and the printer I have and the OKI is far better quality, as they're essentially the same printer I don't know how, but it's very clear to see. I’ve read a lot about envelope feed issues on the Ilumina, even the new envelope press.

I cannot say whether the Ilumina is good or bad overall as I may just have a defective unit (after all it is second hand), although the reviews are starting to ring true. But I strongly advise before investing in any digital equipment you take your own media to a showroom and print your own job, otherwise the large investment in a new Ilumina could prove as frustrating as mine.

If you need any further advice please get in touch, I'll be happy to share my experiences.

Thanks,
Andy

P.S. It appears all my issues have been down to compatible toner issues, it's very important to check the supplier out before using compatibles on the Xante/OKI machines, my advice is to test on black before any other colour to check for toner scatter or print issues. So print quality wise it performs as it should

Last edited:
JayDA - email me at djm at novadirect dot com and we can swap horror stories. I'm in NJ as well.

Short Run Envelopes use the Oki C9650

Short Run Envelopes use the Oki C9650

To replace a Ricoh 8500 with a TCII 2 color setup (between the 2 5,635,158 clicks) they were wore out and I was tire of the poor quality and mess of inks, I purchases the Oki C9650 the end of March this year, also ordered the Straight Shooter feeding setup. Took an extra month to get it, but well worth it. Feeders are not required to operate, I print a few 1000 larger envelopes per month (6 x 9 up to 10 x 13) but after trying to adjust the feeder and then readjusting for the # 10, I decided it was not worth it and load 30-40 in the bypass at a time. As of 7/29/10 I have printed 46310 on it. Supplies are expensive, but I'm local government so I can get state contract pricing, which helps. I have continued with the previous standards of two color printing, so as of yet I have replaced 1 drum and no toner, woo hoo.
We also have technicians in-house that can help me with trouble shooting, but so far only minor issues and I caused it.
PS.... I was very close to purchasing the PSI, but the sales rep I was working with left the company we work with and they dropped the ball. I was dragging my feet because of the cost of equipment and supplies. I found this forum and the rest is history!

Last edited:
Straightshooter

Straightshooter

We go back and forth between #10's and 10 x 13 all the time quickly and without issue.

What was a problem was going down to A sizes easily. We removed one of the white feed belts and only use one sheet separator - took the other 2 off. Much better.

Straight Shooter feeding

Straight Shooter feeding

I'll have to try those adjustments. It was taking at least a box of #10's before I could get it to feed properly without having to stand beside the machine the whole time. I also have issues with the sheet separator catching on the window envelopes so I'll bet only one would also clear up that issue. You left the center separator? And which of the 5 belts did you remove I'll try that on my next order. How hard is it to remove a belt, my manual has change the belt on page 22, but it's no where in the book.

Yes, I only use the center separator. It was issues with window envelopes which prompted the change.

I don't think it matters which belt you remove - either of the outside ones. I figured out how to do it myself (takes a little disassembly). Call Straightshooter - they will gladly help you.

a laser engine is designed to feed and image one sheet of paper at a time, while an envelope is essentially two sheets of paper being fed at same time

inkjet engines do not have this handicap

if you must go with a laser engine, just expect it to require more service that you are used to, for example, the fuser rollers will have their life shortened dramatically

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back