Should We Switch to CTP Or Stay With Photopolymer?

tsfx

Sorry, I’m not a full professional. I don’t know all the specs, options and nomenclature for Platemaking. This is just a job that was kind of put on me and I just want to see how far I can go with it.
We currently have a process of using photopolymer resin to create plates of sizes up to 30x48. We print large bags, like the size of dog and cat foods. And at times I will need to make 12 – 22 plates in one day with this process, which after time can be quite draining.
I looked into CTP before and asked around and all I could tell is that it would not be beneficial for the amount of work we need to produce. Although, there are times when we receive plates from an outside source to print high quality process or screen jobs.
My question is should I convince my company to switch to the same process in order to produce higher quality and consistent plates? Is CTP faster or is it slower, like I've heard? Or am I just going to have to do my best to keep up with the press?
Thank you for any assistance.

From your comment, I'm guessing that you're making flexographic printing plates from liquid resin, correct? Are the plates "rubbery" with a 3-D texture when finished?

Liquid flexo systems are efficient from a cost of materials perspective because you can often re-use the non-hardened polymer again after the UV exposure steps, but there are definite limits on quality and consistency as you mention. Because of those limitations, they're mostly used for low-res applications like corrugated cardboard box printing and so forth (low quality / non-screened printing on plastic bags too). CTP can certainly improve quality and consistency and remove the need for your film setter, film, and film processing, but may add some flexo plate processing steps. There are many things to consider - if you're serious then I'd suggest talking to a couple vendors about options and ROI. Let me know if I can help get you in touch with a Kodak rep at least.

Kevin.

Yes, I forgot to mention it is Flexographic. And yes, I have heard that we save on being able to reuse reclaimed resin. Although, when I first started looking into CTP was when our reclaim unit went down and we have yet to get anyone to come in and service it. I figured with the money we spend in ordering more resin than needed and using more chemical to clean our plates in the washout, we could just buy a new system that would alleviate errors.
As it stands right now I am low on the totem pole. And am basically doing research to find out if it would be in the best interest of the company. I feel that even with evidence I will get turned down. I just want to see if I am right and maybe with enough evidence, can push them in the right direction.

I'll give you a few links below, and I'm happy to answer specific questions. The real questions you need to answer are:

1) why do you want to change? what benefits do you think you'll get, and more importantly what is the financial value of those benefits to your business? Also - what's your ACTUAL total cost of your current solution? What hidden costs (in prepress AND the pressroom) do you have due to that system?

2) is a multi-$100k investment even a possibility for your company, even if the ROI is positive? Certainly there is a multi-year payback on any system.

3) what other options do you have to achieve the same benefits? Is using a trade shop (i.e. outsourcing plate production) an option that meets your needs for some/all of your work?

I can only speak about Kodak solutions of course, but our Flexcel NX system has the added benefit of being able to image non-process film for your liquid system too if there's any benefit in keeping that in parallel. You could ditch your film setter and film processor, but keep the ability to make liquid plates.

Our general Flexo product page: Flexographic - Kodak Graphic Communications Group

Look specifically at the Flexcel NX system - both CTP and media - for a starter, and let me know if I can help, or get you in touch with an expert. (I'm just an offset guy pretending to know flexo :)

Kevin.

Thank you all for your responses I will consider this and any new information I receive to pass on to my company.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back