Silk / gloss media stiffness?

andy1

Hi guys,

I'm trying to find a lower cost business card board to ColorCopy. I've found the Essential range from PermierBeswick in the UK (seems to be their own brand), made by Condat, it's cheaper than ColorCopy and is stiffer in the long grain direction (ideal for business cards) but flexible in the short grain so it feeds nicely.

My confusion arises when the silk card is much more rigid than the gloss, I'm wondering if gloss coating is generally thicker (so the card itself is thinner) than silk, or if this is a one-off?

Could help with finding the ideal stiff lightweight board, so any feedback is greatly received.

Thanks,
Andy

Can't answer your question from any knowledge other than my own experience. We also buy our paper from PremierBeswick (we're in the UK), but we use Silver Image Laser. We were offered the Essential which is a bit cheaper, but as we are 100% digital we decided to go with a digital approved paper to keep our techs happy! Yes, in my opinion Silk paper does always feel thicker than gloss paper. All the samples I have ever had felt the same. We now use the 350gsm Silver Image Laser Silk (or Matt as they call it) for our business cards and it is great. On the odd occasion a customer has requested gloss coated I have shown them the two together and they generally go with silk as it feel heavier.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back