Simple (hopefully) VDP solution?

Neddog

As Creative Director in a corporate environment, I've dabbled with variable data off and on for several years. From PURLs, to customized datasheets and several project in between. I have a project I'm trying to complete now, and while it's currently working, I need to find an easier way.

Ultimately the goal is to populate a document with personal data from an Excel spreadsheet and send it off to our printer who has an Indigo. Currently, I have the document created in InDesign with variable fields (images and data). We do a little tweaking in Excel to adjust the data some, then we merge it in INDD. THEN, from INDD we export a PDF of all pages and send that off to our printer.

It works quite well, but I'd like to extract myself from the process so that when our group generates the XLS file, they can do something simple (without the need for InDesign) and then send the results off to our vendor. I'm oversimplifying a bit, but hopefully you get the basics. We initially looked at a well-known vendor for some help with this (I won't say who, because it's really not their fault it didn't work as well as I'd like). One of the problems I saw with using them was that THEY created the template, and for us to make any changes, we'd have to repeatedly go back to them. I'd like to have total control in-house.

Thoughts? Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Simple (hopefully) VDP solution?

We use Xralle/pageflex, which allows the user ordering to produce anything from business cards to postcards with a mailing list.

With ability to have authorisors to check before going to print, it makes for a great system.

Give me a shout if you wish to know more.

Neil

With your current method you have to create an InDesign document with all of the Pages and then create a PDF from said document.

A more efficient way would be to create a PDF directly from InDesign. The method I would recommend is using a Plug-in such as XMPie. XMPie allows you to create your InDesign document, specify what is variable. Then when you are ready, you can export a merged PDF document containing all of the variable pages.

The printer with an Indigo should do the "programming" part. Send them your excel spreadsheet. Mark-up a hard copy of the layout showing which variable fields in the spreadsheet correspond to which position in the layout. Use a highlighter to clearly indicate the position of the tags. That shows the printer pretty much everything they need to get the job done, and will make the job go through faster because they won't be trying to RIP a huge multipage PDF file, which can cause problems.

Good luck.

[[email protected]]

Edited by: Jeff Lazerus on Aug 4, 2008 8:48 AM

I agree with Jeff, let the printer determine what file they want to send to their front end. Using a Fiery I prefer to send a PPML vs PDF file, it rips twice as fast. My work flow is InDesign to PDF, Populate the data fields using Fusion Pro in Acrobat and compose to PPML (or whatever you choose) and print.

Best of luck!

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the great feedback. I knew that sending a massive PDF for the printer to RIP was not ideal, and I appreciate your reinforcing that opinion. The specific solutions were great and appreciated. Ultimately, we're on a tight schedule so I had to make something happen this morning. I've decided to go with Printable's PrintFusion Pro Desktop, build the templates ourselves (both for control and quick turnaround), and use it to generate the job for our printer.

If I run in to problems or issues, you can bet I'll be back with more questions! Thanks again!!
Jon

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back