Snow Leopard Compatibilities

Hardwired

Hi there,

We are about to buy a bunch of new Macs. Obviously comes with Snow Leopard.
I did ask Apple and they said these new Macs can still run older Leopard OS.

I know so far Prinergy and Dalim still not fully supporting Snow Leopard.

Just want to know what other issues you have encountered running Snow Leopard in a Production Environment.

Please help list them here for others to share.
I will add mine once I have them tested.

Rico

Fiery & Snow Leopard

Fiery & Snow Leopard

I've run into this with a few customers who have Fiery controllers. There are some S-L drivers for various Ricoh printers out now but not all of them. So the standard answer I give right now is to use the generic PS driver and have the jobs go to hold in Command Workstation (or just do a File/Import) and make your Properties changes there. Check with EFI to see what else is available. EFI Fiery Forums - Powered by vBulletin

BTW, in Snow Leopard Appletalk is no longer supported

Apple is supporting all "'office printers"' but not the ones drivin by EFI/CREO/PRISMAsyn color controllers. In the meantime there are some workarrounds.

Snow Leopard has some problems with type reflow, especially with Quark 8 and Postscript Type 1 fonts. Although some have reported problems with other programs and TrueType or OpenType fonts. Apparently the vertical spacing comes out different with certain fonts, leading to type flow issues.

We haven't converted any production machines to SL yet, but we did see the problem in reverse. A customer created a file in Quark 8 on 10.6 and when we opened it up in Quark 8 on 10.5.8 the type flow was different than on his machine.

Beware.

Snow Leopard (OS X 10.6) / Windows 7 - Quark Forums

Shawn

The only issue I have had with SL is our Xerox DC260 print drivers dont work anymore. I have a Dual G4 sitting around that I use to share the printer, so that works all right, but would still be nice to have an actual driver so I dont need this tower just for printing. Adobe CS4 all works great, no issue with Illustrator, Photoshop or Indesign. For the little I do in Quark, it seems to run as it should as well, and no font issues (Font Agent Pro 4.0.3). I took the leap the day SL was released, installed it, against my better judgment on my work machine. Of course I had a Time Machine backup ready to go back in time to Leopard. Great upgrade for me, the speed was and is very noticeable.

Just installed our first SL machine last week.
All I can say is - it wasn't the turn key APPLE experience I've been used to for the last 20 odd years. I've managed to work around all the major issues - so far. Forget Quark - unless your ready to pony up for ver 8 for each machine. 6 is a no go, 7 is riddled with problems. Quark will only support v8.12 on SL. Stay with 10.5** if at all possible.
The Xerox's were pretty easy, but some of the legacy stuff is a real challenge - even with sharing from a G4.

Well - yeah. I read about all kinds of issues with production environments & 10.6.x so we're staying away. That and having outdated G5 PPC hardware that won't even run SL helps too.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back