snow leopard & print compatibilty

splashdesignz

Good Morning,
I am in a position of having to replace my Mac workstation as the logic board is dying a slow and painful death. I currently use Leopard OS which works perfectly fine with my "old" DPM 2000 platemaker. When my PC workstation was upgraded from XP to Vista I was no longer able to send files to the DPM 2000 via that workstation as Vista will not allow me to install a Windows 2000 print driver. There are no new print drivers for the DPM 2000 so all my files were sent to the platemaker via pdf's on the Mac workstation.

I have been unable to determine if Snow Leopard will allow me to use this driver. Does anyone have any insight into this issue.

Of course the best solution would be to upgrade my platemaker...but the budget simply doesn't have room for that at this time.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Angela

It took a while to get drivers for some printers. I know xerox was slow at getting drivers for snow leopard, at least for our 260.

Did you check the manufacturers website to see if they have updated drivers for snow leopard? That was my only complain with snow leopard was the printing issue. My work around for it at the time was print to a shared printer. I had the 260 drivers on an old dual g4 that I used just for printer sharing until xerox came out with the drivers.

You can visit our support page: RTI Harlequin RIP Technical Support - RTI Harlequin RIP Software Support PPD Download Tutorials

and download a universal RTI.PPD and INF file that will work with Windows and Macintosh systems and works with a variety of output devices including imagesetters, platesetters, proofers and presses. This PPD will work with Windows 2000 through Windows 7 and Macintosh OS 8 through 10.6. It is important that if you need support or assistance and are not using an RTI product there would be a charge, but there are instructions for loading the driver. The best place to start is by updating the driver/PPD on the RIP computer. If you are using a Windows RIP you need to right click on your existing printer then go to the Properties tab. In the properties tab you can click NEW DRIVER and browse to select the newly downloaded driver. Once the driver/PPD is loaded on the RIP computer you can continue to your other computers. If you try to connect from Vista or Windows 7 without first loading an updated PPD on the RIP computer the files will not load you will receive an error message. Hope this information helps.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back