Snow Leopard to Windows 2000 Networking Problems

Hey everyone,

I'm new here, I just signed up because I've been looking for a solution to a new problem since last week.

I have a Windows 2000 Professional PC running my RIP software into my Agfa image setter. I previously had also been using another Windows 2000 PC as my workstation.

The workstation died, and we decided it was finally time to upgrade to a Mac. So we purchased one, installed our software, and was able to install all my printers except for any that were loaded on the RIP computer. I have a few printer profiles on there that do different things for me (E-up, E-down, negative, positive, etc) and previously would be able to print to those printers via my network (windows to windows).

Now I can't even install those printers on my Mac because the Windows 2000 RIP won't let me connect to it. I go to the Printers dialog on the Mac, I use the Windows option which brings up "Workgroup" - in there I see my desired computer, named "hqrip" but when I try to click on it I am asked for a password. So I enter the correct username and password (have double and triple checked multiple times) but it tells me it's incorrect. I have tried a few things but I have no idea how to do the more technical things I have seen mentioned on some other sites.

I haven't been able to make film for a week now and have been relying on my polyester plate maker instead. I found a temporary solution of dropping my files directly into the RIP via a thumbdrive, but I don't have all the same options and control over how the file is handled and it has been giving me trouble anyway.

I need a solution, and I am really hoping someone can help me because in this economy I don't have the money to pay someone $XXX per hour for phone help, I could barely afford to replace the workstation that went down.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

-Rob

Thanks! Funny enough, a short while after I posted this, I tried again, the same way I had been, and it just decided to start working. Not sure why or how it started working, I'm just glad it did.

One other question though, I have to use "Generic Postscript Printer" for the driver/ppd, since Highwater apparently doesn't have anything available for Mac. Does anyone know of a better driver? For some reason the Mac version of the generic driver doesn't give me as much control over the output (like custom page sizes, for instance) as it did for the PC I was using.

Thanks!

Thanks again, I must have missed the link at the bottom of your previous post. On my way to check it out right now.

I haven't had to make film just yet, but I installed the driver and reassigned the ppd to the printer and at least the print dialog looks right again. Thanks so much for the help!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back