Special ICC profile to convert all color to 0c0m0y0k?

cmcfarling

I have a situation where I'd like to take a 4 color + 2 spot color doc and remove the CMYK values completely using an ICC profile, leaving the spot colors in tact. Over the years I've seen special profiles for doing odd conversions and I'm wondering if someone is aware of a profile that might do this. I tried creating one with Monaco Profiler but I didn't get the expected results.

Did you consider creating a Pitstop action list?

- Select all
- Remap colors
- CMYK color space -> Color / Device Gray / 100%
- all other -> leave as is

That's one of the problems of our regular technology. Have you tried ICISS software?
I have a situation where I'd like to take a 4 color + 2 spot color doc and remove the CMYK values completely using an ICC profile, leaving the spot colors in tact. Over the years I've seen special profiles for doing odd conversions and I'm wondering if someone is aware of a profile that might do this. I tried creating one with Monaco Profiler but I didn't get the expected results.

You can do all sorts of things with action lists or callas fix ups. Basically you need an action/fixup to map cmyk to 0cmyk or "none". It can be done relatively easily. Or maybe even easier, remove those object from the document.

But if it is colour it is information? Have you tried the recolour artwork function in Illustrator? You can use it to reduce the number of colours of any work to 1 or 2 spot colours and specify how you want the colours to remap. I suppose you could remap some colours to 0 0 0 0 if that is what you truly want.

But if it is colour it is information? Have you tried the recolour artwork function in Illustrator? You can use it to reduce the number of colours of any work to 1 or 2 spot colours and specify how you want the colours to remap. I suppose you could remap some colours to 0 0 0 0 if that is what you truly want.

Nah, it's not a PDF editor. Removing the objects or mapping to "none" is what I would do. "None" basically turns off the colors but leaves the objects.

you can always move the cmyk objects onto a layer and de-activate the layer for the cmyk objects which leaves only the spot plates.

I have a situation where I'd like to take a 4 color + 2 spot color doc and remove the CMYK values completely using an ICC profile, leaving the spot colors in tact.

I don't think this is something to be done with an ICC profile. As has been suggested, PDF files could easily be adjusted this way with PitStop. For other applications, Illustrator or InDesign, this would be easy to Applescript. Come to think of it, it probably would be easy to Applescript for Acrobat, too.

I was a little vague on my original post. Here are some more details...

I have various PDFs that have been distilled from EPS files which contain one or more spot colors. I want to quickly/easily remove all of the CMYK data leaving just the spot colors. The major hangup is that some of the files have CMYK gradients. If not for the gradients then I could accomplish what I need with just the built-in FixUps that are available. However and color conversions using the FixUps ignore the gradient. I've been playing around with PitStop and it seems there is a workable solution which involves doing a remap of CMYK to a white spot color, effectively removing the CMYK data. The problem with that is that PitStop costs $800. It seems there must be a way to do this that doesn't require purchasing an exoensive 3rd party app.

I've attached a sample PDF if anyone cares to mess with it. Note that this a very simplified test file but it shows all of the elements in play.

Attachments

• test2-eps distilled.pdf
    16 KB · Views: 203
@matt I know Illustrator is not a PDF editor but there isn't really anything like the recolour artwork in Acrobat. But now that the actual problem is more defined then I see it is not what was asked for. Seems like OP wants to export composite Excluding CMYK plates. This is normally done in RIP by excluding plates.

It only took a couple of minutes for me to build one possible action list. PitStop seems pricey until you need it. You cannot survive PDF workflows without PitStop.

Attachments

• lose the CMYK.eal.zip
    2.8 KB · Views: 185
Color Tuner Web v1.2

Apologies for the late reply. Have you tried adding a white spot colour to your library, then mapping the CMYK seps to the spot white colour?

Add a white spot colour to the queue's spot colour table (0cmyk device values). In this example I called it "Map process to white" Select the job and then hit the settings button. Go to the Spot Colour Correction tab. Hit the Colour Substitution button. Tick the Substitute Process Colours box. For each CMYK separation, browse to the new spot colour "Map process to white".

I have not yet tested the output of this process as I am out of the office and can't eyeball a physical proof, however in theory this should work.

Screenshot attached.

Stephen Marsh

Attachments

• CTW1.jpg
    CTW1.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 189
I have not yet tested the output of this process as I am out of the office and can't eyeball a physical proof, however in theory this should work.

Checked the printout, this worked great, ORIS has mapped all CMYK data to white and the only visible data is the spot orange.

Stephen

ORIS Color Tuner // Web 2.0.3 - New Job Editor!

ORIS Color Tuner // Web 2.0.3 - New Job Editor!

Last week CGS released a new "job editor" to ORIS Color Tuner // Web 2.0.3 - which allows the selective omission of file separations (process or spot) and selective map to process of individual spot colours, all with a preview of how the final job will look with these edits.

This new 2.0.3 feature provides a much easier way to simply remove process seps and only proof the spot colours. Rather than the previous method of mapping the process separations to a zero value/white spot colour, one simply disables the separations.

Users of ORIS Color Tuner//Web 2.0 are entitled to use this maintenance release free of charge!

Screenshot attached.

(Disclaimer: I work for a CGS ORIS Color Tuner // Web distributor/support agent).

Stephen Marsh

Attachments

• ORIS_CTW_203_JOB_EDITOR.jpg
    ORIS_CTW_203_JOB_EDITOR.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 179

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back