Strange Epson 9900 Issue

I have a strange issue that I wonder if anyone else has run into. We run color proofs to Epson 9900 with built-in Spectro through ORIS Color Tuner. Jobs have started to fail when reading the IDEAlliance GRACoL print target. The B11 color (which looks like a 50% tint of the dark green) is always the color that exceeds maximum dE. The other numbers are generally around 1.0 dE.

Here's the weird part. If a file contains objects that are green, the target passes easily. Otherwise it fails each time.

The nozzle checks are good, and I have done cleanings (as well as just the orange-green pair clean), but the results are always the same. I have also recalibrated via ORIS Color Tuner after replacing any inks that were low in ink.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Jim Restle

Hi Jim, is the ILS uncut/no filter - or is it a UV ILS?

Can you verify the colour with an uncut handheld i1 pro?

As a last resort, I would tune the offending colour.

Stephen Marsh

We have had a 7900 for about 2 years running on GMG where we have had intermittent problems with the auto calibration using the onboard spectro. The calibration was set to run once week, sometimes passing first time or after the first iteration, other times it just kept going round in circles either stuck on orange / green or CMYK. We seemed to solved it with combination of things:
1. Update to the latest firmware from Epson
2. Made fine adjustments to the Epson set-up (GMG provide a tutorial document, not sure if CGS do the same)
3. Every Monday all ink cartridges are taken out of the printer, shaken and then put back

Thanks for the replies. CGS thinks we have a bad print head, but wasn't sure why forms that contain a green color will pass with very low dE numbers, but forms without green will fail.

For now, I bumped the dE max target value up slightly. Visually, the forms from this 9900 match our other one.

Jim

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back