Suitcase Fusion 4 & InDesign CS5

keith1

Hi,

This is a new version of an old problem. New because I've recently installed Suitcase Version 4. As with Suitcase Fusion version 3, it doesn't recognize all my apps. In this case the Fusion 4 plug-in doesn't recognize InDesign CS5 (version 7.0.4). This is the Adobe app I use the most and the one I would most like Suitcase to recognize (naturally, my luck dictates that it doesn't :(

I've looked around for help on the Extensis web site as well as here and a couple other places. Has anyone had the same problem? Any solutions?

Thanks much,
Keith

Yes it is. Font Explorer used to only be available for Mac. I use PC. I understand there's a PC version now, however I've bought Suitcase and the thing is *supposed* to work. Very annoying that it doesn't. Extensis is of little help. Maybe I should bite the bullet & try Explorer. I've heard good things about it. Mac version anyways.

Keith

I love FontExplorer. Much better than Suitcase, IMHO.

Is the problem you're having with auto-activation of fonts? I've never been a fan of that feature - seen it do strange things. Working in a print shop, it's bad for me because I need to ensure I'm activating the customer's fonts and not my own.

With InDesign files, don't forget that you don't even need a font manager to auto-activate fonts. As long as they reside in a folder called "Document fonts" and that folder is in the same directory as the InDesign file, ID will load them temporarily when you open the document. I use this method for 99% of my jobs anymore.

Hi Keith,

Sorry that you're having problems. Did you try using the Extensis Plug-in manager Tools > Manage Plug-ins to install the auto-activation plug-in?

If that doesn't work, could you please contact support directly to walk through the issue? (it's free, of course)
Support Home | Support | Extensis

We want to be sure that you are getting the best experience with Suitcase Fusion.

Jim Kidwell
Extensis

Thanks Dan,

At some point I will likely end up with Font Explorer. I had thought with version 4 that Extensis may have had this problem sorted by now. Apparently not.

Re Document Fonts folder. I already have a gazillion fonts in folders. Not in my InDesign directory. I shouldn't have to do this if Suitcase worked. It recognized CS5 Illustrator & Photoshop but not InDesign. It also recognized Illustrator, Photoshop and InDesign CS3. It just doesn't recognize InDesign CS5 - the one I really want it to recognize.

Keith

Hi Jim,

Not sure how one uses 'Manage Plug-ins'. There's nothing to manage. It either recognizes the apps or it doesn't. If it doesn't, that application and it's tick box are greyed out and that's the end of it.
I can try reinstalling InDesign and see if Fusion adds it, but based on Fusion 3 experience, I don't have high hopes. I'm sure you're aware that many people had this sort of trouble with Fusion 3.

Keith

Thanks Dan,

Re Document Fonts folder. I already have a gazillion fonts in folders. Not in my InDesign directory. I shouldn't have to do this if Suitcase worked. It recognized CS5 Illustrator & Photoshop but not InDesign. It also recognized Illustrator, Photoshop and InDesign CS3. It just doesn't recognize InDesign CS5 - the one I really want it to recognize.

Keith

What Dan is saying is that when a client packages up their InDesign document to take to a service provider/print shop, it creates a folder called Document fonts. When a printer opens up the InDesign document, he does not need to load the fonts, InDesign loads them automatically. This insures that the exact fonts that were used in the InDesign document are being used by the printer. Like Dan, we also do not use any auto-activation of fonts by Suitcase Fusion. It could open up the wrong fonts. When we do need to activate fonts with Suitcase, we have the clients fonts in a folder with the job number, and load it into Suitcase Fusion. Suitcase Fusion has not failed us at all. I have not yet tried Font Explorer, I will have to check it out as well.

-Sev

Last edited:
Hi Sev,

I see what you mean (what Dan meant). I very rarely get situations like that, whereby people send me files from a 'real' graphics program. And for some reason when I do, most seem to be Illustrator, which activates fine.
More often I'll get a Word or Publisher file or scraps of paper or ??
I'm actually as happy using InDesign from CS3, just because I'm used to it. However it would be nice to have CS5 work when it's supposed to. I'll figure something out when I have time to focus on it.

Appreciate your - and everyone's input,
Keith

PS/
I think I'd have heart failure if someone ever sent fonts with their job. I have loads of fonts but can usually count on clients using some obscure free font they've found on some free font site or who knows where. Fortunately they're easy to Google and load myself.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back