Suitcase Fusion and Quark 7

Jim_T

Is anyone else experiencing font problems with Suitcase Fusion? I have noticed that Quark 7 attempts to load a font even when Suitcase sets are not activated. I have auto activation turned off in Suitcase prefs. The strange thing is that if you first activate the set in Suitecase and then open your Quark doc everything is fine. But if you open your Quark doc and then turn on the Suitcase Quark does not recognize the activated fonts. I have all applicable patches applied to both Quark and Suitcase.

*This was also posted in the Quark area.*

Re: Suitcase Fusion and Quark 7

Allow me to clarify my previous post.

If Quark 7 is already running it will not see the fonts once they are activated in Suitcase. Unless you quit Quark 7 activate the fonts in Suitcase then start Quark 7 the fonts are not recognized by Quark.

>> If Quark 7 is already running it will not see the fonts once they are activated in Suitcase. Unless you quit Quark 7 activate the fonts in Suitcase then start Quark 7 the fonts are not recognized by Quark

Yes, same here, using Suitcase X1 OSX 10.4.11. Same with Quark 6.5.

I haven't had a problem with QX7 seeing fonts activated in Fusion after QX7 was already running. I'm running on a OS 10.4.9 on a PPC box. I know that Intel boxes don't work the same fonts and apps. If your using a Intel box, that may be the source of your issue. Also, which version on QX and Suitcase are you running? I'm using QX7.3 and Fusion 12.1.3

I too have experienced problems with Suitcase Fusion. The problems have increased since I upgraded to the Mac Pro. Some problems I have encountered are:
*Not all ps fonts loading into the temporary folder in Fusion, but loading in Suitcase X.

*Font sets not activating.

*Fonts in font folders activating one day and corrupting in font folders the next day, BUT they will load in Font Book or Suitcase X.

I am not sure if the problem is caused by the Mac Pro Intel chip or the fonts are too old (circa 1993) or the 10.4 o/s. Either way, Quark isn't responsible because I have the same problem with InDesign and Illustrator.

Does anyone else experience these problems?

No. I use suitcase 7 on a MacPro with Tiger and QXP 7 without any problems. I do have suitcase set to automatically launch at startup. Opening fonts after starting up Quark also works fine (sometimes a few seconds delay). I do not use auto activation.

I do however have the same problem sometimes with very old fonts (early 90's).

We occasionally have issues with Quark not seeing fonts activated with Suitcase when Quark was already launched before the fonts were activated. We have found that if you give it a few seconds, usually Quark will adapt and see the newly activated fonts. It may take you two or three open/close/reopen sequences with your file before Quark "sees" the fonts.

BTW, Suitcase Fusion is up to 12.1.7. Perhaps the newer version might help? Also, Quark 7.31 is out but I am not sure if applying the update will help with your font issues.

Kind regards,
Jon :)

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back