Tech Schools

Im on a Advisory committee with my GIT instructor from Tulsa Technology center and other members from various printing companies in Oklahoma. We meet to advise, counsel and assist in planning, development and evaluation of the program. in the meeting today we talked about GIT skiils competition the winners the past few years have been getting some of the worst awards ever hats, cups, color swatches even colored paper. These students are competing to show what they are capable of doing for themselves and for future jobs the top winners go on to compete in the national level in Kansas. i would want someone who was that dedicated and enthusiastic in what they do to work for me. But these students aren't being rewarded in the way they should. The gifts are purchased from donations from printing companies. Best Buy even donated a gift one year because there was none to give. Does anyone now of a solution or ideas that we could do for these students who want to aim high in the printing field.

Awards

Awards

Wow, I truly know where you coming from with that question. I see the local trade schools just falling apart in the printing industry lately. With all the emphasis on Green Digital printing most students wish to be designers or just push a keyboard to produce printed work.
There should be more emphasis on the equipment that is out in the field and how they can make a good dollar operating and maintaining the printing equipment that an owner or company already have.
So a student that can operate a $50,000 machine gets a cup or Tee Shirt as an award. That sucks!!!!!
Pre Press or Press operator awards?

OG

your right

your right

The competitions go through prepress ( Designing a job, proofing etc.) running a job on a press ( usually AB dick), bindery ( collating and folding job) so they pretty much get a little of each area. Another thing is most of these place are not up to date with stuff my prepress super got my tech a copy of preps and they didnt really know what it was they dont use rips now they need to throw in color management alot of companies are doing it more. i wish i would of known these things when i got out of tech i had to start all over when i came into prepress. i started out as a jogger worked my way up to 2nd pressmen know im in prepress. Not knowing Preps and rips kinda hurt me. These students need to know these things and when they do and compete in there field they need to be rewarded the way they should be.

Just ask!

Just ask!

I think you just need to ask the companies that make cool stuff. My experience is that most of them are happy to provide prizes to recognize achievement.

Try Adobe, Quark, Pantone, companies that make plug-ins for Photoshop, etc.

Try publications in the industry. We would be happy to provide a subscription to a winning student, and I'll bet others would as well.

Try Lynda.com for a one-year subscription to continue their learning.

These folks won't find you, but I'm sure would enjoy being asked.

- Jay Nelson
Editor & Publisher
Design Tools Monthly
http://www.design-tools.com
podcast: http://www.designtoolsweekly.com

Talk to local printers about donating a prize such as a 6 month or one year internship for the winner. I think that would be an excellent prize and would give the winner some much needed "real-world" experience. If individual awards are given for catagories (i.e. prepress, press, etc.) make the prize an internship in that department.

How about a really good Loupe? Maybe some of those really nice work boots to stand on your feet all day? A flight or pass to Graph Expo/Print/Drupa would be the best idea by far. jaynelson also had some great software oriented ideas.

My first trip to Print in 2005 was an eye-opener and I strongly believe any young person trying or considering getting into this industry should go at least once. It really gives you a concept of the breadth and depth of our industry.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back