text formatting issues Indesign CS6

wonderings

I dont do a lot of large text formatting with indesign, and have with this yearly job have always hacked my way around to get what it the way I wanted. It was not pretty but it worked. This is a program for a Christmas festival concert, 24 pages, of which most is text that I have will be type setting (lyrics, composers, soloists, etc)

Because they put in the words for some of the songs they need to have the copyright info as well with the song. Normally I have have just made a new text box, sized it the way I wanted and positioned it where I wanted. This becomes a real nightmare when they have changes and the entire document reflows. Obviously I would have to go and manually reposition this copyright info. I was going to insert it right into the text box, in which everything is linked. The problem is this info is much smaller, and in some cases 2 or 3 lines. When I try to adjust the spacing (leading) it becomes a mess and I cannot seem to figure out how to tighten this up without effecting the rest of the text that does need to be adjusted this way. I have taken some screen shots of what I am talking about:

1) I have highlighted the info I need to adjust. For some reason the second line looks different when highlighted (black box bigger).
ScreenShot2012-10-23at90945AM_zps3437fed8.png

2) Adjusting the spacing with the text selected leads me to this:
ScreenShot2012-10-23at91001AM_zps07e3318c.png

3) Adjust the spacing on just the bottom line gives me nothing at all to tighten up, but does go the opposite way to give me more space, but not less. You can see the change in Leading from 9 to 2, nothing changes at all.

I am sure there must be something small I am missing here, so what is it? How do I adjust this text, without messing up everything else to get it to look like this?
ScreenShot2012-10-23at92655AM_zpsf3c08a9b.png

Heres a screen shot of what seems to work for me . . . . since you didn't show us the hidden characters all I could do is guess . .

you can pm me if you have ?S

Attachments

• text screen shot.pdf
    36.8 KB · Views: 197
Are you using paragraph styles? Make sure you select all the paragraph so that you don't have mixed character sizes in the paragraph.You will need one paragraph style for the copyright and one for the texts.

Are you using paragraph styles? Make sure you select all the paragraph so that you don't have mixed character sizes in the paragraph.You will need one paragraph style for the copyright and one for the texts.

I am not using paragraph styles. Its a pretty simple format, everything just left justified. I did try making a paragraph style for the copyright info, but had the issues I listed above. Been super swamped at work, so this job has been put slightly on the back burner till I can clear my desk of these other jobs. Will post up a screen shot with the hidden characters as soon as I can.

I am not using paragraph styles. Its a pretty simple format, everything just left justified. I did try making a paragraph style for the copyright info, but had the issues I listed above. Been super swamped at work, so this job has been put slightly on the back burner till I can clear my desk of these other jobs. Will post up a screen shot with the hidden characters as soon as I can.

It isn't essential to use paragraph styles, but what Lukas said about selection is probably the key here. Your first screenshot looks very much like you have just the text in the copyright para selected and not the paragraph mark.

Make sure that the copyright is a single paragraph. If you need a hard break after Aerostation, use a line break (shift+enter) not a paragraph break (enter).

Now select the whole of the copyright para, including the paragraph mark. Set the text size to say 6pt and the line spacing to 6/7pt. If this para is now too close to the last line of the verse (which it probably will be) add "space before" of, say, 3pt to the copyright para. That should be it.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back