The email flip to prepress....? ugh!

prepressguru

Hey everyone

How do you guys handle the email flip, or maybe this only happens in the shop I work at.

Basically production/planing/CSR forwards a email from the customer to prepress and excepts us to interpret the info and do the work. Most of the time it is a change to a file, and most of the time they do not tell us what docket it is for. Even if a production person comes into prepress they still do not update the actual info.

If I ask the question about updating the docket I am told did I get the email.

I dunno am I out of my tree on this, or is this the new way of printing?

oq

Sounds like there are some lazy people that don't want to work or learn the proper way of handling customers for print. It's not uncommon at all...sadly.

The Front End needs to get basic job spec information from the customer NO MATTER WHAT. After all, they are quoting price based off of this. If there is a file to review then preflight/prepress can take a look at that file and make sure it matches up with the specs that the Front End has taken from the customer. If information doesn't match up at that point then the two parties must communicate *ahem*professionally*ahem* to get the information correct/straight on the job ticket.

We have a fast hard rule...

NO TICKET - NO WORK

Basically means if you (sales, front desk, anyone who accepts an order) don't make a ticket and put it into the work flow just like everything else (no matter how minor!) it doesn't get done

After the first few projects get shoved back in there faces, they get the picture!

This may not work in every shop, but it keeps things in order and you don't have sales people trying to get free stuff for there clients.

Got to agree to Pacart, no ticket, no response. Of course if customer server/sales wants to come talk to you then that's a different story. Eventually they'll acquire some knowledge.

Thanks for the all the replies, I didn't think I was off the mark on this issue.

Unfortunately we are a smaller shop and all our jobs hot, its is no excuse, but Artheaven is correct we have bunch of lazy people and if I do raise the issue, or try the no docket no work method I get told I am being un co-operative, thier version of professionalism is cooperation is a 1 way street around here do as told...... =(
Anyway that's my rant. I'm sucking it up for now until I find a better place to work or get out of this nutty industry.

LOL! I was just going to suggest to get out of the industry and you end your post with it.

It's not that I personally don't like printing, in fact I have a deep passion for it. However, after years and years of getting to know the make-up of most shops I never have been in a place that I would call "truly professional". Yes I've been in places that are much better than others but there's a problem when I've been the best operator at every place I've worked at (a place or two I have had an equal). All that does is have the unprofessional throw more work at yourself because they know "he'll" do it.

EDIT:
I also have a no ticket now work policy, but it is within reason. I think a big thing is to write things down. Minimize the amount of verbal instructions, have it written and placed back in the hands of the person you are communicating with and lobby to get it transferred to the ticket. I always describe work tickets as a story or a chapter. Anyone should be able to read the story from the content inside the ticket and get a clear picture of what it will be, what has happened, why it has happened, etc. If for some reason you can't read the story then either the information is not being collected properly or someone is illiterate and you need to take action.

Last edited:
I've had this problem, here's how we solved it. (You will have to do some extra work yourself. You're not trying to be lazy are you ;) ? )
1- Measure the amount of time it takes to interpret instructions coming from email, time to track down the docket this belongs to, note the amount of time spent in conversation with CSRs, Sales or other "front end" staff. Do this for AT LEAST four weeks. Eight weeks would be better, if you can stand it that long. Why so long? If you don't get data across at least one monthly billing cycle, it really won't be representative of actual experience over time, therefore not an objective sample. (If you see one or two green elephants, you can't say ALL the elephants are green. But, if you see 1000 green elephants in a herd, you can be more certain.)
2- Make a quick spreadsheet with all the data you've collected. DO NOT USE THIS DATA COLLECTION PROCESS AS A PUNISHMENT TOOL! I.e., never let on to the front end that you are collecting the data, or why. Keep it fact based, always.
3A- Fast method (recommended): Convert the hours to dollars based on the data you've collected by multiplying your wage by the number of hours spent in unrelated prepress activity.
3B- Thorough method (recommended if you have time): Organize your data into some categories, like: solving customer generated problems, fixes/changes not on the docket, time spent trying to find which job the email belongs with, rework from verbal instructions misinterpreted, rework from inaccurate customer or sales/csr instruction, etc.
{NOTE: Having done this before, what I've found is that a large majority of rework and time-waste comes from incomplete and inaccurate instruction}
4- Take this information to whoever at your company is MOST MOTIVATED by profit, typically this would be the owner. DO NOT do a data dump in anger, bring the solution, which is:
5- NEW POLICY! All instructions will be written on the docket. All communication will be between the front end and the customer (not you - your job is prepress). Emails forwarded to prepress will have the docket number in the subject line of the email with a clear explanation of the work that needs to be done. If it is a change, a change order will be written, discussed with client as to cost of the fix (some hourly rate plus new proofs or other material cost), and a new due date agreed on. NO CHANGE ORDER? NO WORK! Your stand is that you want the company to make the money that it COSTS them to produce work this way.

You are going to get a lot of "push back" for this. Unfortunately, you've discovered a serious system flaw that needs correcting. Your shop owner and sales reps probably won't like it because they hate having to tell the client something will cost more. Often, an owner is also a sales manager, so they will be conflicted. All you can do is give them the data and let them decide. You need the policy to come from upper management, and you need them to help you enforce it, otherwise all of this work will be for nothing. Management should want efficiency, otherwise, you will be looking for a new place to work and it will be because it costs more to do a job than what they are selling it for. Your time is a cost, that is your only lever. You want to impress on management that you are trying to help save cost. Show your data. If half of your time is spent tracking down which docket belongs to the email, that's not a very good use of your time. Especially if the CSR knows exactly which one it goes with. It could take you an hour, it might take them less than five minutes. Say you'd be happy to spend that time, if that's what they want. SMILE!

Not all print shops are so unprofessional, and being small is no excuse for being inefficient. In fact, it would seem that the smaller the shop is, the more they'd want to maximize efficiency.

It's a communication problem, mostly. You CAN and would benefit from the systemization of the communication. I developed a "request for change order" form at a shop I worked for once. If a CSR verbally or otherwise tried to give us instruction about a job then left for a three hour lunch, I had our prepress people fill out a request for change order and put it on the CSR's desk. They get pissed when "their job" isn't done by the time they get back, but if everyone knows in advance what is going to happen, you'll find that these issues will go away as if by magic.

Last edited:
Just to add a bit to the general rant:
I get email from customer- "The changes to my job are on our FTP site." signed John Smith. No company name, no FTP addy and I am supposed to know who John Smith is and which of his jobs the changes go with??? CSR says didn't you get the email?

We have a fast hard rule...

NO TICKET - NO WORK

Basically means if you (sales, front desk, anyone who accepts an order) don't make a ticket and put it into the work flow just like everything else (no matter how minor!) it doesn't get done

After the first few projects get shoved back in there faces, they get the picture!

This may not work in every shop, but it keeps things in order and you don't have sales people trying to get free stuff for there clients.

We do the same here! Everything goes through our preflight department or CSR's and we don't do anything without a ticket and job number.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back