The Order

Cory Smith

186-The-Order.jpg

I had one of these over a 10,000 piece mailing. Customer threatened to go to Kinko's. I was shaking in my boots.

Reminds me of a long time ago when I did a small catalog for a customer. I had to work part of a holiday weekend to get it done by his deadline because it had lots of pix, and this was in the camera and stripping days. The next year he brought his catalog in again, but he hadn't yet paid for the previous year's work! Some people have unbelievable nerve.

By the way, we didn't print it the second year.

Reminds me of a long time ago when I did a small catalog for a customer. I had to work part of a holiday weekend to get it done by his deadline because it had lots of pix, and this was in the camera and stripping days. The next year he brought his catalog in again, but he hadn't yet paid for the previous year's work! Some people have unbelievable nerve.

By the way, we didn't print it the second year.

Slightly off topic, but I also find it amusing how some customers that are in such a rush for a job they expect you to work over a holiday, will fail to get you some necessary component because of their personal schedule.

We have one customer, the paranoid one I mentioned in another post, that always wants everything immediately. Though regularly postpones getting us some art because she wants to go home early.

We have all seen this over the years, in fact I know of two small shops that came close to liquidation because of non payment of invoices , which spurred several print companies including ours to organise an agreement and open channel of communication where we agreed any new client wishing to come onboard would have to clear their outstanding debt first with the company they are leaving before ink is put down, we are all in competition with each other which some see as an opportunity to negate their obligation to pay their bills as they think printers will welcome new work, this has worked well thus far

regards
Maas

The pic really tells a true message but in some cases only. There are number of online printing companies finished their jobs as per customer needs.

This takes me back to the days of working at a fledgling Minuteman Press. I answered phones, handled walk-ins and also did paste-up, stripping, shooting film on the vertical camera, etc. We had one customer who had started her own "Medieval Times" sort of business where she'd travel to your event with her troupe of belly dancers, jugglers, various renaissance type performers & also bring the themed food. We were doing all of her brochures & collateral but many times instead of paying, she would give us tickets to some event she had booked.

Needless to say, there are only so many turkey legs & juggling acts you'll accept in lieu of payment before cash becomes necessary.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back