The State of the Industry

Servicetech

I was a Field Service Tech for 20 years in the printing industry, after being laid off from an equipment manufacturer and going back to work for an equipment dealer, an opportunity to get out of the industry presented itself, so I jumped ship about 6 months ago.

I am considering selling all of my printing specific tools, some of which are quite valuable. I continue to see printing companies go under and equipment leave the USA in shipping containers.

Any thoughts about future of the printing industry?

Just my 2¢. People still read the book, see the movie and then it on watch it on tv:

See Pillars of the Earth - a printed book, ebook with video and mini series all at the same time.
Ken Follett's 'Pillars of the Earth' now a packed Apple app - USATODAY.com

Publishers' May Book Sales up 9.8% over 2009, 11.6% Year-to-Date
Source: Association of American Publishers Press Release, July 15, 2010
Publishers' book sales tracked by the Association of American Publishers
(AAP) for the month of May increased by 9.8% on the prior year to $715.3
million and were up by 11.6% year-to-date.

Report highlights:
• Adult Hardcover sales were up 43.2% in May; up 21.7% year-to-date.
• Adult Paperback sales were down 2.2% in May; up 15.7% year-to-date.

• Children's/Young Adult Hardcover sales were down 1.3% in May; down
23.3% year-to-date.
• Children's/Young Adult Paperback sales were down 8.1% in May; down
6.6% year-to-date.

• Downloaded Audio Book sales were up 72.9% in May; up 33.3%
year-to-date.
• E-Book sales were up 162.8% in May; up 207.4% year-to-date.

I was a Field Service Tech for 20 years in the printing industry, after being laid off from an equipment manufacturer and going back to work for an equipment dealer, an opportunity to get out of the industry presented itself, so I jumped ship about 6 months ago.

I am considering selling all of my printing specific tools, some of which are quite valuable. I continue to see printing companies go under and equipment leave the USA in shipping containers.

Any thoughts about future of the printing industry?

Did you work for either Multigraphics or AB Dick or Pressteck

No, I worked for an equipment dealer for 15 years, then Komori America took over, I worked for them 5 years, then I was laid off and went back to an equipment dealer for 6 months, then I got out.

Now I work in a different industry, things are going pretty well there. I think I have a buyer for most of my printing equipment tools, I think Ill just sell them.

I personally think it will be a number of years before the industry is anywhere near what it once was, maybe never.

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back