Toner / colordrum issue xerox versant

Hi everyone
I actually work in a printshop in switzerland. We have two xerox 2100 installed sine 2019.

Since Nov 2020 we noticed that the colordrums dont last so long till they begin to make points (in distance from 147 mm) and marks etc. Sometimes we had and still have to change them on the same day! We had a lot technicians on place with no solution.

So since about 2 weeks we know or we got the information that this is a worldwide problem with versant caused by the toner who has nano particles which ar damaging the drums.

Xerox came to clean the whole machine out (took 7 hours) and installing new screened toner and drums.

One das after we got the same problem! No drum available and xerox says they cannot do anything till they get new drums and do the cleaning again...

I'm wondering if someone does have the same problem or got a solution already? I font trust much in xerox cause they leave us alone with no information and no solution. Actually we are forced to outsource out printwork till we get this 2nd cleaning...

Last edited by a moderator:
What it looks like this is the black drum catridge, but the problem is in all colors

Attachments

• 20210614_090220.jpg
    20210614_090220.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 903
I hate to see this is still going on and by the sounds of it, it has only gotten worse. This is the main reason I dumped our 3100. I was constantly having to change drums and developer housing were just about as bad. The Iridesse is night and day difference and if the volume stays up is less expensive to run.

We have the same problem. Spoke to our Xerox rep today and he thinks it’ll get better but 🤷‍♀️ We are on a service contract so bad drums are their problem not ours. It is incredibly annoying though. I went through three drums the other day trying to get a single working black drum.

I do worry that at some point they’re going to say “your parts are getting too costly so we need to raise your click charge” so I’m documenting when we need to change out drums early because of faulty ones.

there is a bulletin from Xerox saying this problem exists
Hi azehnali
Do you have any further information? Because xerox switzerland dies nor officially agree that it's a known problem.. they still say that we are only one of a handfull costumers with this problem

Hi azehnali
Do you have any further information? Because xerox switzerland dies nor officially agree that it's a known problem.. they still say that we are only one of a handfull costumers with this problem
We heard from Xerox and there is a national shortage of drums right now. Our orders haven't been shipping out of them for the last 3 weeks or so. They said there were a batch of drums that were destroying developer housings. Idk if this batch was limited to the US or not, but I would say even if it was it would disrupt shipments worldwide.

I have a V180 here. My tech is having me take photos of every serial number from toner that is being put into my machine for reference if there's a problem. I was told the issue is in the toner that is destroying the drums. They only realized this after people were replacing drums constantly which has caused a drum shortage. Last visit he also said that techs were replacing developer housings thinking it was the problem. So now there's a drum and a developer housing shortage.

I have a V180 here. My tech is having me take photos of every serial number from toner that is being put into my machine for reference if there's a problem. I was told the issue is in the toner that is destroying the drums. They only realized this after people were replacing drums constantly which has caused a drum shortage. Last visit he also said that techs were replacing developer housings thinking it was the problem. So now there's a drum and a developer housing shortage.
That makes sense as well. I know we go through drums like crazy sometimes. But our tech's haven't asked about our toner batches. Im living life on the edge right now with no drums on the shelf. When I need one ill be on the horn complaining since my last order is still backordered form almost a month ago

supposedly the bad batches of toner were from early 2021
not sure if those toners are still in cycle or not

Same problem here with a new 280. I only have 42000 clicks on it and it's gone through 5 drums already. The toner will cause small round surface defects on the drum. The toner that was in the machine when delivered was manufactured in Japan. I had no problems until I started replacing those with toner made in USA. Xerox needs to be more aggressive with getting this toner off shelves and replaced with good toner. I've been told that none of the toner that I have is on the list, so their list isn't including all the toner. They need to fix this problem very soon or we could all run out of drums.

Same problem here with a new 280. I only have 42000 clicks on it and it's gone through 5 drums already. The toner will cause small round surface defects on the drum. The toner that was in the machine when delivered was manufactured in Japan. I had no problems until I started replacing those with toner made in USA. Xerox needs to be more aggressive with getting this toner off shelves and replaced with good toner. I've been told that none of the toner that I have is on the list, so their list isn't including all the toner. They need to fix this problem very soon or we could all run out of drums.
Class action lawsuit? If Xerox makes people go without parts they will certainly see lawsuits pop up.

Class action lawsuit? If Xerox makes people go without parts they will certainly see lawsuits pop up.
We've been having trouble with Xerox parts for repairing our machine. We used to see our machines regularly repaired in 4 hours or less unless a part needed to be ordered. Then it was never more than 2 days. Now even basic things are taking weeks to be fixed. For example: We were told a quality issue we have is a developer that needs replaced and the developers needed to be ordered. It's been 10 days and they haven't come in.

I don't know when to start sounding the alarm but the problem seems to be getting worse and not better.

Is anyone else having issues?

Hi azehnali
We are having the same issues with drums as you are.
Versant 180
Our Tech says its the Toner causing the problems.
We changed all of our Drums at the same time recently and the problem was back after 10,000 impressions (probably Less)

We have Versant 180. Just talked to our service techs about some parts issues and they mentioned the toner problem. They explained to look at your toner date codes on the sides of the boxes. Techs say do not use any 2021 toner made before march 1st 2021, would be a julian code of 60 (see Julian Calendar PDF). North America code should be W2 (any letter number combo tied to fill location/line) 1(year manufactured-21) 060 or greater. Example they gave W21035C 04:53, the 1035 means it was made on February 4th, 2021. When we checked our toners all of our cyan and magenta toners were bad.
this could just be our techs opinion on dates but .... Your code is based on location and type of machine for different machines and non North America based people. Your tech can give you more complete info.
Hope that helps.

Attachments

• Julian_Calendar.pdf
    57.5 KB · Views: 897
We were told last year the defective ones were made between July and November 2020. Disappointing to hear the problem lasted longer.

Status update: still the same problem, no official statement. Really poor service from a global company like xerox!

I know four other print shops within a 5 km radius with this problem, so they should stop lying that there is no problem, it sucks!
The hotline is also overwhelmed because of all these angry calls. And they still tellin' us that there is just a small group of versant with this problem.

Bad toner or bad drums are still in cycle- be aware!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back