Trapping in pitstop

BigSi

Hi there.

Is there a quick way to add trap/spreads in pitstop.
Customer is grizzing that there is a very fine white line (it moves about a bit ) on his b/cards. Around black text on a dark orange background. File is a PDF supplied by customer. (I think it is create in Coral)
I see there is something called trap in "Pitstop" I can't find any instructions on how to use/apply this feature. Maybe there is a link someone can send me?.
I have spent ages trying different setting in command workstation. You know all the usual ones. Dots, Lines, 600dpi 1200dpi, Image enhancement etc..
Xerox won't help. As its very fine! they think I'm mad. A spread of .15 of a mill will fix it. (Slowing the machine down does help a little, Its a v2100)

Any thoughts would help. Thanks Simon

Pretty sure there's no trapping in PitStop, but we'll see when ABC comments.
In the meantime if you do any of your work in Illustrator then Esko has these Ai plugins called 'DeskPack' which includes trapping within Ai. You can download a free trial (get the Advanced version) here ---> DeskPack Plans and Pricing - Esko. There is online e-learning available for this product.
Another suggestion is; is it's possible to just set the Black to overprint on the orange?

There isn't an actual 'trapping' functionality, but you can do somethings manually that might work.
Adding strokes of certain colors, using overprint, those might be useful.
If it's that fine you might even consider fattening it up a bit which I guess is equivalent to spreading a white line.
If it's something repeatable you can set up an Action List so you don't manually have to do it everytime.

Our experience with our Xerox iGen is that the black goes down last and all colors under it are knocked out - which may lead to a negative trap line. (What you may be seeing) Occasionally we can ameliorate it by creating the doc as a jpeg within acrobat (Pre-Ripping) and then sending to the EFI rip. YMMV.

thanks guys. All useful information. Unfortunately the files are supplied as PDFs so unless I open in Illustrator (with all the associated problems/risks) I can't do much with illustrator. Thanks abc, your suggestion could be a go. Is there any online tutorials? or even an old fashion manual? showing these sort of functions in "pitstop" Im a bit of a newbie with pitstop. I'll see what happen when I save the pdf as a Jpeg (worth a try). thanks chriscozi

This is a regular job so worth sorting out.

thanks again

Hi Josh

Good to hear from you.

Will see if I can find Black overprint in Acrobat. It might not actual be black (just looks like black on the screen)

I have ticked the little box for trapping in command workstation and it makes no difference.

talk soon. Simon

We trap in Prinergy before imposing and creating output files for digital presses, we leave the trapping for Indigo, but have found that the Fiery doesn't correctly handle the overprints, which can yield undesirable results, so we strip the trapping out and re-trap on the Fiery. You need to set up the trapping parameters in Command Workstation.
You can use Pitstop to change blacks to overprint.

Here's where you find built-in manuals and online documentation
Acrobat Menu > Help > Plugin help > Enfocus PitStop Pro help > ....

Select the object(s) and adjust fill or stroke overprint here.
Screen Shot 2020-08-18 at 2.01.55 PM.png

Adjust the Stroke color and Line Weight here, you can create an overprint stroke as well if needed
Screen Shot 2020-08-18 at 2.02.18 PM.png

" Customer is grizzing that there is a very fine white line (it moves about a bit ) on his b/cards. Around black text on a dark orange background. File is a PDF supplied by customer. (I think it is create in Coral) … its very fine! they think I'm mad. A spread of .15 of a mill will fix it. Any thoughts would help. "

at .15mm … might not even be a trapping issue … these "artifacts" sometime appear … usually in correlation with placement of certain bounding boxes. google it … ask around in dedicated pdf forums. well … that's my thought anyway.

Thanks abc, this is fantastic. You might be right pnamajck. I need to improve my skills in this area, (not easy when your average day is printing on a Heidelberg gto, making a 3meter wide x 1 meter high sign, foiling on a Heidelberg platen and then to top it all off have to understand prepress). Just needed to get that off my chest (I feel better now :)

" I need to improve my skills in this area …"

if those are just artifacts … zooming in tight with acrobat and then slowly zooming out … the artifacts seem to disappear and reappear … almost on their own volition. [this, in turn, s'probably a screen-redraw issue on operator's display.] stay cool, dawg.

if those are just artifacts … zooming in tight with acrobat and then slowly zooming out … the artifacts seem to disappear and reappear … almost on their own volition. [this, in turn, s'probably a screen-redraw issue on operator's display.] stay cool, dawg.
The OP is referring to a registration issue on the printed sheets, not the screen resolution/redraw issue on screen

Hi there.

Is there a quick way to add trap/spreads in pitstop.
Customer is grizzing that there is a very fine white line (it moves about a bit ) on his b/cards. Around black text on a dark orange background. File is a PDF supplied by customer. (I think it is create in Coral)
I see there is something called trap in "Pitstop" I can't find any instructions on how to use/apply this feature. Maybe there is a link someone can send me?.
I have spent ages trying different setting in command workstation. You know all the usual ones. Dots, Lines, 600dpi 1200dpi, Image enhancement etc..
Xerox won't help. As its very fine! they think I'm mad. A spread of .15 of a mill will fix it. (Slowing the machine down does help a little, Its a v2100)

Any thoughts would help. Thanks Simon
Simon, have you enabled auto trapping on the Fiery server?

Hi Magnus.
I have put a tick in the box, Is this what you mean? I can't from memory remember where it is. Image drop down menu page? maybe?. This is the only place that I can see any reference to "trapping"
ta Simon

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back