Trapping Puzzle

lnivin

Here's my trapping puzzle for the day. We have a 5-color job. PMS 032 is a spot layer in the psd file. Some images knockout, vignette overprints. This is placed in Indesign with white type.

The wish is to keep away only the spot color from the white type.

I've tried several ink settings on the Spot Color. Renamed it to something other than Pantone 032 (just in case of hidden settings). When I set its ink density to very light, the keepaway selects Magenta as the dominant color and my trap was only Magenta.

Does anyone know of way to create a keepaway only on the Spot Color?

what about recoloring the white type you want the keep away from to a lighter opacity than the 032. Then after ripping recoloring the type back to white?

I filled the type with 50% spot yellow. The trap is now the PMS 032 and 50 spot yellow. I tried a regular trap and a keepaway. Both created the same color trap.

I've tried PMS 032 - treat as black and not treat as black.

I'm beginning to think there is not an automatic way to have just the spot color do a keepaway and not the 4-color.

If its only one page and your in control of the output, then create a second file for the PMS 032.
The second file has a stroke of white to keepaway the 032.

Unfortunately, many pages. But at least that is a solution.

Customer signed off on having the keepaway on the 4-color and not the spot, so the rush is over. But would still like to know if Kodak Trapping will allow spot keepaway and no movement on the 4-color.

I've tried every combination (except the one that will work) - heavy and light, changed from Normal to Opaque to OpaqueIgnore, regular trapping and keepaway - but I'm not getting a trap that is only the process colors.

Since you mentioned this is Kodak trapping, I'm assuming it is Prinergy? If so, you can go into the Trap Editor and change any edge into a trap and specify the color of the trap. No, that is not automatic but if it gets the job done it might be what you need to do.

Can you post a PDF? It might be easier to offer suggestions if we can see exactly what you're dealing with.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back