TrapPro and PDF versions

Prepper

I've had trouble trying to process files with trapping turned on and running out of memory (getting VMError message) with any PDF version above 1.3.

I was told it (TrapPro) can't process unflattened files and it's recommended to save PDFs out of Acrobat as a .ps file and then rip.

Seems like moving backwards to me, does this sound right to you all?

PDF and trapping compatibility has more to do with the RIP version than anything else. Since you mentioned that you are using TrapPro, you must be using at least v.6 of the RIP as v.5 and earlier used TrapWorks or EasyTrap. It is extremely important that you make sure you are sending PDF files that are compatible with your version of the RIP. Since you are sending PDF v.1.3 and using at least v.6 of the RIP you should be fine, but depending on the speed of the RIP computer and amount of memory available you may want to try to use the "PDF OPTIMIZATION" feature within Acrobat.

Here are a few tips:
1. Optimize the PDF whenever possible (especially if you run into errors at the RIP)
2. Make sure you have at least 2GB of RAM on the RIP computer (for larger files you may need 3GB)
3. Make sure you are sending a compatible PDF format - see chart below:
Version 6.0 = PDF 1.4 compatible (added support for transparency)
Version 7.0 = PDF 1.5
Version 7.1 = PDF 1.6
Version 8.0 and 9.0 = PDF 1.7

You can view the chart with additional PDF specifications on the following page:

Harlequin RIP Upgrades, Harlequin RIP Upgrade, Harlequin RIP Updates, RIP Software Update, RIP Updates, Postscript 3 Upgrades

As shown in the online chart the RIP received a new memory engine with the release of v.8.1. This helped improve RIP and trapping times considerably.

PDF and trapping compatibility has more to do with the RIP version than anything else. Since you mentioned that you are using TrapPro, you must be using at least v.6 of the RIP as v.5 and earlier used TrapWorks or EasyTrap. It is extremely important that you make sure you are sending PDF files that are compatible with your version of the RIP. Since you are sending PDF v.1.3 and using at least v.6 of the RIP you should be fine, but depending on the speed of the RIP computer and amount of memory available you may want to try to use the "PDF OPTIMIZATION" feature within Acrobat

Here are a few tips:
1. Optimize the PDF whenever possible (especially if you run into errors at the RIP)
2. Make sure you have at least 2GB of RAM on the RIP computer (for larger files you may need 3GB)
3. Make sure you are sending a compatible PDF format - see chart below:
Version 6.0 = PDF 1.4 compatible (added support for transparency)
Version 7.0 = PDF 1.5
Version 7.1 = PDF 1.6
Version 8.0 and 9.0 = PDF 1.7

You can view the chart with additional PDF specifications on the following page:

Harlequin RIP Upgrades, Harlequin RIP Upgrade, Harlequin RIP Updates, RIP Software Update, RIP Updates, Postscript 3 Upgrades

As shown in the online chart the RIP received a new memory engine with the release of v.8.1. This helped improve RIP and trapping times considerably.

We are using 8.3. If I trap with pdf 1.3 no probs, if anything higher fails at rip, our support says to use flattened files for trapping and what they recommend is saving as .ps in Acrobat first. Our machine is a fast server type machine with 4meg of ram which is max for a 32bit system.

I know Harlequin supports all the latest PDF versions, but when you read the TrapPro info the term PDF isn't in it, it does say it is Adobe Postscript 3 compatible though.

So are you indicating that I should be able to trap layered PDF files without problems?

Thanks

Version 8.3 is Postscript 3, PDF and XPS compatible. It can process PDF and Postscript natively so there is no need to convert from one format to another. Since Postscript doesn't support live transparency, I would not recommend saving out as Postscript.

You may have memory settings at the RIP set incorrectly. You could try the following settings which are recommend when using 3 or 4GB of RAM. I would recommend writing down your original settings in case these do not work for your RIP.

Go to the RIP menu - Configure RIP:
Network Buffer: 1,024 kb
Printer Buffer: 32,768 kb
Under Configure RIP - Options:
Minimum Memory Left for System: 262,144 kb
Check Memory for RIP and allocate: 1,750,000 kb
Click OK and OK then quit the RIP and restart the computer.

Since the file goes through with trapping off it appears to be a valid file. I would recommend opening up your file in the original design application if possible (Quark, InDesign, Illustrator, Corel, etc.) then print directly to the RIP using that original file. If you have only the PDF, we always recommend optimizing PDF files before sending them to the RIP. If you would like further support I would recommend having your original vendor test the file on a brand new computer to see if it exhibits a problem on a different computer.

Thanks, I will try those and see what happens. I fully understand that the rip supports all those versions, I'm saying they told me that TrapPro will only process flattened files. Is that true, is what I'm trying to find out.

Ok, I tried those memory settings with the same result, comes up in client says ripping, then trapping, then compositing and fails during that giving "VMError message: offending command: renderbands" which as I understand is a memory problem.

If I optimize as you suggest, it rips, traps, paints, no compositing step listed. Optimize flattens transparency doesn't it? If so, I think that answers my question, 1.3 or optimized both mean flattened PDFs, those work, unflattened ones don't, with trapping turned on. With trapping off the 1.6 PDF works and shows the compositing step also so I presume that is a step dealing with the transparency or layers?

Thanks

While jobs usually process faster when flattened, the RIP can process jobs that have not been flattened however overall processing times will increase. You could also try the following to improve processing at the RIP:
1. UNCHECK RECOMBINE PRESEPARATED JOBS in the separations manager
2. UNCHECK GENERATE EXTRA GRAY LEVELS in the separations manager

Forgive me for being so specific, but that still doesn't answer my question at all, will the rip TRAP files that aren't flattened? :)

Thanks

Yes - the RIP will process jobs that have aren't flattened. There is additional information on this subject in the RIP manual.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back