TrapX (server) vs PowerTrapper (standalone)

FlexoArt

Can anyone comment on TrapX (server) vs PowerTrapper (standalone)? Is there a difference in features between the two? I'm looking at upgrading to the Nexus PDF RIP, but I'm not sure I'm willing to give up my raster trapping (InSight) yet for all Illustrator based vector trapping. I downloaded a demo of PowerTrapper and the first job I tried to trap was a PDF exported from InDesign. PowerTrapper didn't recognize some of the 75% transparent drop shadows and trapped as if the drop shadows were 100%. I did demo Instant trapper and I didn't think I would have a lot of use for it, but now it seems like it would be a needed addition to PowerTrapper...maybe should even be included with PowerTrapper, or TrapX. If I decide to upgrade, I'll have the option between TrapX and PowerTrapper (they're the same price). Any opinion on what would be better? From what I remember about TrapX (server), the file has to close and reopen every time a trap is made or changed. Is this correct?

Hello

From a technical point of view, there is no difference between TrapX and PowerTrapper. Which one is more suited for your company? That depends on the size of the organisation. PowerTrapper is really standalone (and mobile) and doesn't require a server connection. The trapping is done on-the-fly without waiting queue's or file transfers. TrapX (server based) can be a cheaper solution for larger companies, as the client license of TrapX is about half the price of a PowerTrapper, while the server part (you only require one) is priced identically as PowerTrapper. From a third seat onwards, TrapX becomes the preferred solution from a price point-of-view.
Instant Trapper is the interactive trapping module for Adobe Illustrator (2-click-trapping). Like in many converters and tradeshops, trapping is often done both manually and automatically. Some files will be easier to trap interactively, more complex jobs will benefit from the strenght of PowerTrapper.

As a sidenote: the identical trapping solutions (both PowerTrapper and Instant Trapper) are available in PackEdge and will become available in ArtPro in 2010.

Hope this answers your question?

Best regards
Bjorn

Thanks for your reply. We are a smaller company (I am the prepress), so it looks like PowerTrapper would probably be the best option - I rather avoid server tasks if possible.

If you are the prepress :) I recommend PowerTrapper as well. You don't need to worry about Server connections, you can put it on a laptop if you want and trap offline,...
Best regards
Bjorn

Thanks for the input!

Do any of you have experience with StepX? I'm currently using PowerLayout (no ArtPro license) and it's probably more than I need for basic stepping - I really don't work with CAD die files or have the need for nesting, etc. It seems as though StepX would be more practical with the PDF Nexus RIP since I would be doing everything in Illustrator anyway. Any input? Good or bad? If I continued to use PowerLayout with a PDF RIP, would I still have to RIP the file first and use a link, or would I just step-out the PDF?

Thanks,
Steve

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back