Trimming Perfect Bound Books

easiprint

Kind of embarrassed to ask this, as I've bound and trimmed thousands of perfect bound paperback books in my time, but the last time I done some was about 15 years ago, so my memory has let me down a bit!!

I used to work for a large printing company running the Horizon binding line, but I left there about 15 years ago to start my own printing business, which is doing well now. I've just added a small perfect binder (Fastbind Elite), to expand my offerings, and I have to say for a cheap machine, it gives a good bind. I've just done a run of 50, and had real problems 3 side trimming them on my Guillotine. Unfortunately, it is an Ideal trimmer, so no pressure adjustment for the clamp. I seam to remember years ago we just kept an old reject book which was smaller than the books we were trimming, then put this on top of the books to be trimmed to take the pressure away from the spine to avoid crushing. Even through doing this however I have crushed the spines on most of the 50 books. Are there any new developments or tips to help avoid crushing the spine when trimming. It's probably my mind letting me down and I've forgotten how I used to do it, so any tips welcome!!!!

Simon

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back