Two Different RIPs to Trendsetter

Rick@IPCO

Hi All,
Hopefully I'm using the correct forum for this question. We are currently driving a Creo Trendsetter 800 II Quantum directly with Kodak Prinergy v4. We are looking at possibly upgrading to a different RIP system that would write 1-Bit tiffs and requires a Tiff catcher to feed the Trendsetter. Our Prinergy system is a 1-box solution, with Print Console residing on the Prinergy server. Ideally, we would like to have both RIPs running simultaneously, at least during the transitional period, so we would have the option of plating legacy jobs in Prinergy while processing and plating new jobs with the new RIP. Can this be done? Can we still print directly from Prinergy AND have the Trendsetter set up to accept TIFF downloads? Or, will we have to write 1-Bit tiffs from both systems? Thanks.

The Trendsetter can only connect to one front end tiff-catcher. Either the new system will need to send to Print Console or Prinergy 4 will have to send to the new tiff-catcher.

zombie: It is not really going to be a "second" RIP, but the "new" RIP. I just want to be able to plate with either during the transition period.
esmith24214: I'm not really asking if the Trendsetter can be fed by TWO TIFF catchers. Right now, Prinergy is not writing 1-Bit TIFFs, it is a direct scsi connection (I believe Prinergy v4 was the last version that did not require a TIFF catcher with the Trendsetter). My question is; can I continue to do that (directly connect) AND also have the Trendsetter accept 1-Bit TIFFs from another RIP? Thanks for your replies!

Hi,

If your print console has "Tiff output" license - you can use 1bit tiff from any RIP.
Just make hotfolders with different plate sizes, and put your tiffs in.

Hi,

If your print console has "Tiff output" license - you can use 1bit tiff from any RIP.
Just make hotfolders with different plate sizes, and put your tiffs in.

Our main workflow is Nexus, which creates the 1bit tiffs. The tiffs are then sent to hotfolders on Prinergy Evo, which is our tiff catcher. The tiffs are processed in Prinergy, then passed to Print Console, which drives our Trendsetter.

-Sev

Print Console IS a tiff catcher. I've used it with Xitron and Esko workflows. Just because Evo is on the same box doesn't mean they can't be used separately. Check what folder Evo is writing out it's tiffs to and drop one there from Nexus. Also, if you're currently sending 1bit tiffs through Evo, can you continue that with the new system during the transition?

Thanks for the replies. We are running Prinergy Connect, and it is not currently writing 1bit tiffs, it is printing directly to the trendsetter. Found out we just need to buy the license for the tiff catcher/download feature in Print Console to receive tiffs from the second RIP.

How much does it cost?

You may already have the 1 bit tiff option.

Very easy to tell.... if you boot up your print console does it state that you don't have one?

Go into configuration on the bottom it should state your license info

Direct connect or/and tiff downloader.

Email me if you need assistance.

Thanks Raymond, but I have my own license. I was just curious about the cost, because are cheaper way to do it.

Last edited:
btw, if u have RBA license you can build workflow without a buying tiff catcher license.
Write 1bit tiff into prinergy job hotfolder, bypass refine, then, using RBA, output directly to CtP. Of coz u can output manually too.
one minus - may be cause higher load for prinergy.

Hi, we are not using (didn't opt for) RBA, and we are running Prinergy Connect v 4.1.2.6 (no bypass refine feature). I've checked, and we don't have a license for the tiff download in print console for sure. I believe it's $2500 for the license.

Last edited:
Hi, we are not using (didn't opt for) RBA, and we are running Prinergy Connect v 4.1.2.6 (no bypass refine feature). I've checked, and we don't have a license for the tiff download in print console for sure. I believe it's $2500 for the license.

Check your PM please.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back