type reflow when pasting text box from one document to another

Whitaker

Hello,

I have a problem with a job that causes type to reflow when a text box is pasted from one Xpress document to another. The problem can be repeated by just selecting the text box then doing a copy and pasting the text box in another document. The text box is the same size, the fonts dosen't change and I've checked all the obvious controls (H&J settings, Character Attributes, etc...), so there must be a document level setting that is causing the type to reflow. Anyone have a idea or suggestion on where to look? I have fixed the problem manually, but I would like to know what to look for the next time this happens.

Thanks!

Is the text box in question in the middle of a linked chain of text boxes? If so, there's your problem.

If not, check for runarounds in the old doc vs. the new doc. There may be a runaround applied to an image in the old doc that is not applied in the new one.

Finally, you mentioned that you checked H&J's and Character Attributes. What about Style Sheets? There may be a conflicting style sheet from the old doc to the new.

Last edited:
Thanks Oxburger, I have checked both those items and there aren't any pictures near the text box, so runaround is not a problem and it's not a linked text box. Thanks anyway. Our typesetter is here today (out sick yesterday) so I hope he can figure this out and I'll post the answer.

Now for another important question: I haven't seen Stripes in a while so tell me what is John Candy talking about in your picture?

Mike

Nice! Now I remember that one. I remember a couple of other ones too: "If any of you homos call me Francis, I'll kill ya", "That's a fact Jack", "I shouldn't have drank so much cough syrup"

Anyway, our typesetter got the text box to paste into a new document without reflow by using the Append feature in the file menu before pasting the text box into the new document. It's not like there was anything different in the H&J's or the Style Sheets, so that doesn't leave me too satisfied with the "answer" to the problem. Better proof reading before sending jobs out would help too, but once again I digress...

As a work around, to create a new document with the same attributes as the Source document try this:

Make a copy of the Source document, and rename it Target document.
Delete all pages except one in Target.
Select and delete every thing in the remaining Target page.
Target is now a blank document with the same attributes as the Source.
Proceed with your original intentions.

Al

Thanks for the input. I would normally do that but in this case I was making a pocket folder that had parts from multiple documents so that wasn't really possible in this case. There where other technical problems with this job that we where focusing on during the 3 hours that I was given to assemble, and proof this complex job so I missed the reflow (excuses, excuses).

Check H&J settings

Check H&J settings

Is the text box in question in the middle of a linked chain of text boxes? If so, there's your problem.

If not, check for runarounds in the old doc vs. the new doc. There may be a runaround applied to an image in the old doc that is not applied in the new one.

Finally, you mentioned that you checked H&J's and Character Attributes. What about Style Sheets? There may be a conflicting style sheet from the old doc to the new.

This sounds like the two different documents have different Hyphenation and Justification rules. That is always tricky to resolve, but they CANNOT be different if you want the text to "flow" identically".

Hope this helps !

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back