UDF CD & Tiger

Stephen Marsh

We often get UDF CD's that read fine on say WinXP, however the Mac running Tiger spits them out.

Back in classic OS days, I used a third party control panel for Joliet CD's - is there a similar thing for OS X and Tiger that enables mounting and access of UDF disks?

Stephen Marsh

Hi Stephen

What version of Tiger are you running? I believe that they updated the UDF services in 10.4.11.

If the customer is using Easy CD Creator or Direct CD or something similar they need to make sure to finalize the disk before sending it out if they want anyone else to easily be able to read it. Or better yet just avoid the UDF format altogether. The various versions have never been entirely reliable for file transfers, even on Windows.

This thread might help, it has a few tips and terminal tricks for dealing with problematic joliet disks.
Work with PC-created Joliet Level 3 CDs - Mac OS X Hints

I've heard about a Mac program, I haven't tried it but you can find it here. At $50 it's a little steep for what it does, though.
Software Architects, Inc. | ReadDVD! |

Good Luck
Shawn

Thank you for the reply, clients will and do present what they will, we have had no issues to date with accessing these UDF CD's on XP, it is just a pain to leave my workstation and find a Windows box to download the data from.

Yes, up to date 10.4.11 - software update can't find anything more to download.

I will check out the links that you mention using Terminal which may give me some clues (although I am a GUI user, command lines confuse me!).

Cheers,

Stephen Marsh

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back