uDirect/XMPie/Printer Site Fulfillment Using In Design CS3 - PLEASE HELP!

jbingaman

Hello all,

I've been assigned the task of creating VDP templates using InDesign with the uDirect Plug-In for integration into our Printer Site Fulfilment (EFI) MIS. I have walked through a tutorial on the actual creation of the templates and have a pretty good handle on this part. BUT someone here told me that if I use CS3...the templates won't work with Printer Site Fulfillment because there is only support for CS2. This is a bit of a problem because we upgraded to CS3 almost immediately upon release. Has anyone else heard that using CS3 and uDirect wont integrate into PSF? I believe PSF was originally a part of Hagen OA which is now part of EFI. I find it difficult to believe that you can't use the most current version of InDesign to accomplish this.

Can one of you kind, knowledgeable folks help shed some light on whether or not this is true and if it is, why?

Any other tips or tricks you can pass along with regards to this task would be much appreciated also!

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read this

Re: uDirect/XMPie/Printer Site Fulfillment Using In Design CS3 - PLEASE HELP!

You're correct, CS3 documents will NOT work under the CS2 server.

Our shop is a EFI PrintSmith customer and I know they recently upgraded support for us to be able to use for CS3 for our online variable products. I don't know if this was across the board for all EFI MIS products, but I would contact EFI support and see if it is now supported for you as well.

Sorry for the half-answer.

Edited by: Shalom Pennington on Jul 2, 2008 5:31 PM (--strike--typso--strike-- typos)

Re: uDirect/XMPie/Printer Site Fulfillment Using In Design CS3 - PLEASE HEL

I think this is a limitation of XMPIE - we had to take all ID3 files and "back save" as ID2, to get them to work with uDesign. And, we weren't using any EFI interface at all, it was all XMPIE.

Thank you both for your insight and the replies. I'm going to check with EFI just in case!

-Jeremy

Re: uDirect/XMPie/Printer Site Fulfillment Using In Design CS3 - PLEASE HELP!

The current versions of XMPie are compatible and even designed for CS3, PSF has recently upgraded to allow for this as well. But do check to be sure. :)

XMPie have supported InDesign CS3 longer than anyone else - both on the desktop and the server. There are no issues with either as far as im aware and im using it day-in-day-out in a very high volume way.

Best regards

Tim Perrett
print application architect

the loop: http://blog.timperrett.com
lift framework: http://liftweb.net

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back