Uncoated paper proof

motormount

Out of plain curiosity,does anyone here successfully provides proofs for uncoated paper,on the same proofing substrate he uses for coated paper proofs?

We proof to the fogra 39 standard with our epson 4800 and saphira semi matt paper.
Proofing to fogra29 does give an idea of what should we expect from the same file printed on uncoated paper but it's far from calling it a proof.

So when it comes to uncoated paper how do you proof?

Do you proof to a standard?

Do you use uncoated proofing substrate?

Have you made your own custom profiles based on your inks and papers?

Thanks in advance!

Way back in 2005, we used to get sheets from our supplier. They were 40 x 30. We could put them in, print the first side, then manually flip and print the second. They did a fantastic job of simulating 60 pound white offset.
Unfortunately, I have slept since 2005 and cannot for the life of me remember the name of the paper!

We use a matte paper for uncoated proofing, and a custom press profile. We made a custom press profile that is an average of our conventional and UV inks, because we run a bit more ink than the Gracol beta uncoated was based on.

Bret,is that for inshop use only or do customers get them and sign them?
Are you overall satisfied with the proof quality?

kaiser i'm sorry but i didn't understand you.
Like i said i'd like to know if anyone here -like Bret- uses one proofer and one proofing paper and successfully produces proofs for both coated and uncoated stock.

Thank you both for your answers!

I used to proof for #5 coated stock, SCB, and newsprint all on one proofing paper on one proofer. It worked for us. If memory serves, I was using the SWOP 5 dataset with an edited white point as the source profile for the #5 coated proofs. There is a FOGRA dataset for super calendared, and the newsprint profile was custom.

These were used internally and were sent to customers for approval.

The proofs go to the customers for approval. I would not want to run any other way.

To be clear, though, we do coated proofs on a semimatte stock, and uncoated proofs on matte stock. We have Epson 7900 and 9900 proofers, so switching between matte black and photo black only takes a few minutes.

We currently proof for coated paper only.

There is only one client who wants proofs for jobs that will be printed on uncoated stock.

Their problem is they don't like the look of the uncoated proofs-because the colors of the proof are too dull and can't present them to their customers,so we proof for coated,get approvals and print on uncoated trying to print as much close to the coated proof as we can....

My problem is that even if i had to deal with some logical customer who wanted proofs simulating printing on uncoated paper,i can't make one with the fogra 29 profile,but i also don't have the hardware/experience to make a custom one.

The fogra 39 profiles for gloss and matte lamination worked good,out of the box with my current proofer calibration,not that i use them,just trying them.

Anyway thanks again for your answers!

Can't fix ignorant

Can't fix ignorant

We currently proof for coated paper only.

Their problem is they don't like the look of the uncoated proofs-because the colors of the proof are too dull and can't present them to their customers,so we proof for coated,get approvals and print on uncoated trying to print as much close to the coated proof as we can....

Oh, so sorry, did not realize your customer wears sweaters that tie in the back...

;)

We shop from the same store,or according to an old local saying freely translated for the forum's pleasure,''if we didn't match we wouldn't pair''...

I shouldn't care much cause shops with similar ''approach'' to proofing (and printing and working in general) are blowing the candle,which should leave me with sufficient time to perform more pleasant tasks -tulip growing,snail racing etc-,but then i remember i got kids to raise which i consider a good cause for me trying to delay this here and keep wearing those tight white sweaters a little bit longer... :)

We are proofing Fogra47 (PSO Uncoated) with an Epson 4900 on matte stock and get a very good match with our uncoated offset print. We are using GMG ColorProof with noise effect and missing dots effect. Our customers would not accept a coated proof when the print would be uncoated.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back