UV coating that looks like linen finish - or applying uv coating to linen paper

jotterpinky

I had a customer bring a sample card that she liked into our shop today. It was a full color print with a UV (high gloss looking) coating. This was on a linen cover stock. From looking at the piece I thought it was either one of two things.

1. A linen finish stock with a clay coating to prevent absorption of the uv coating
2. A standard coated sheet with a UV coating that was run through some sort of linen textured roller prior to curing to give it a linen look.

Does anyone have any experience with something similar and how it was done? If so I would be interested in knowing where I could outsource something like this.

some laminators have a linen roller, it is a pain to swap out so you will be hit with a setup charge, binderies that do a lot of book covers should have one...

Theprocess,

Does this linen roller emboss another kind of laminate? I am curious as I havn't heard of this application before. If so, do you know anywhere I might be able to find it or info on it? Thanks,

K

Last edited:
We have a UV roll coater (VersaCoater) that we purchased from Advanced Finishing Systems, which was later bought by Drytac. It has swappable texture rollers (stipple and linen) that when installed, will do exactly what you'd expect - it applies the the UV coating with a texture just prior to blasting it with the UV lamp. However, we have yet to take the texture rollers out of the box! Unless you have a huge market or application for this, it's not worth the trouble to install and swap rollers back and forth. Check with Drytac if they have sold any units near you.

The printed piece you are looking at may be printed on a linen stock and then UV coated on a roller coater. Or the smooth clay coated sheet may be coated with a UV coating that creates a random reticulating pattern by its self when applied heavely with a roller coater or silk screen coater. The texture or reticulating pattern depends on the amount of UV applied, the surface tension of the ink and substrate and the dwell time from the applicator roller to the UV lamps. We sell this UV product and can supply it to you or your finisher.

i have only seen linen rollers for laminators, you see it a lot with book covers, but as other posters have mentioned you can get same effect with some uv coaters that have texture rollers, but lamination will give you more abrasion resistance...

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back