UV inks for 2 passes on 2 Colour Press?

Caled

Is it possible to run UV inks with drier on a 2 colour press for full colour work i.e in 2 passes? Are there any trapping issues with the hard drying finish or will ink trap as normal? The reason I ask is we've got a 2 colour machine that is used mainly for spot colour work but due to workload on our other machines, It would be good to run smaller CMYK jobs on this as well.

Edited by: Colin on Oct 28, 2007 4:51 AM

Re: UV inks for 2 passes on 2 Colour Press?

Colin:
I don't think there will be a trapping issue. If you print straight UV, as opposed to hybrid UV, there is curing after every station as it is. On the 2 color, you could run hybrid UV and just install one lamp. Should work fine.
John Lind
Cranberry Township, PA
724-776-4718

Re: UV inks for 2 passes on 2 Colour Press?

Actually... You would be dry trapping, and end up with a perfect ink trap of the second two colors. No dot gain, no back trap mottle, no trap loss in the solids. Technically a better job.

Most printers forget that you just can't print any sharper than dry trapping a process job on a single color press. Of course you need to be able to fly by the densitometer and be able to hold perfect register to make it happen.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back