Variable Print Software Suggestions

DJL

I am looking to upgrade our variable print software. At present we are using Word, Access and Publisher and stretching them to their absolute limits.

I have used PReS for years in previous companies and would love to upgrade to it but the cost is an issue at the moment.

Can anyone suggest any good alternatives that won't break the bank. We've already had demos of PlanetPress and DirectSmile but i need a good list of options to ensure we're getting the best product that our budget will allow.

Functionallity is obviously an issue so something entry-level like PrintshopMail will, i think, be a bit too restrictive.

Any suggestions will be gratefully received.

VDP Software

VDP Software

Prism - Doc Form
Fabsoft - Reform
EFI - Electronics for Imaging - Freeform2
Darwin - Quark express

just a few you could look into, hope it helps

i used printshop mail and corel draw's print merge function, both were enough for all tyoes of jobs we run.

You could look at Meadows Publishing Solutions They recently released a limited use license if you've tight budget. It's a plugin for Adobe Indesign or Quark. Mac/PC. One of the longest established developers in this area. My personal favourite. Drivers for most output devices.

FusionPro Desktop from Printable technologies is another good option. It has lots of functionality for a pretty low price. This decision depends on a few factors, including:
  1. Input volume
  2. Input format choices (e.g., xml, csv, txt, or proprietary db sources, or all of the above)
  3. Output format choices (VIPP, PPML, jlyt, etc.)
  4. Output device
All of the above can rule in or rule out specific software. The more you spend, the faster your work will go. If PSMail is below your level, what exactly are you looking for?

Jeff Lazerus
Regular Guy's experiments in www

Last edited:
We are a software developer focusing on variable data printing for many years from China. We are often asked by above questions on how to select enough version, since we have several version targeting to different application. My opinion is that the user need to know what he want to create clearly. It's better to demonstrate your practical application.

Variable data printing is a widely technical concept, from personalized card( or coupon) making, anti-counterfeit label printing to billing statement printing. Every application has its own technical demand. Such as original data format supporting, is it necessary to integrating plain text to standard database. Logical or function processing ability. complicated imposition support, output speed and format support. Maybe several dozens dollar product or a free function such as mail merge from Word and Coraldraw or Freeform from Fiery can satisfy your variable product. As I know, Mailmerge, PRes and DirectSmile target different application. So if DJL want a good price and performance variable data printing software, it’s better to tell us what you want to do and your probably budget. Based these information, I can give you my recommendation. Sorry say too muchJ

DesignMerge is a great VDP tool

DesignMerge is a great VDP tool

Why leave your native application in order to do VDP? Here's a link to an article that tells you more about why a plug-in based approach to VDP might make the most sense.

Redirect

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back