VDP Solution: Variable Tray-Pulls

dpolglaze

Registered Users
A mainstay for commercial mail and print shops are variable, multiple-stock jobs for statements and other transactional work.

Automatic and data-driven variable tray-switching with digital presses in a Postscript (PS) workflow is a key requirement for high-volume shops. With the right RIP, tray assignments, engine settings and PS media commands in the output file, the engine will automatically switch to a full tray of a particular stock when the previous one for that stock goes empty. This method also reduces errors and waste, and is of the highest efficiency. In getting this to work properly you have to travel the entire workflow from the variable data printing (VDP) layout software to the paper settings at the print engine.

One recent example of a custom-developed solution involved a popular VDP program and its inability to create the proper PS commands needed for this work. The customer took a KM1250 with a Creo RIP on trial with a second machine to be delivered in 30 days if the trial went well. The KM1250 has five large-capacity feed trays. This customer has about 100 small HP printers--each with two small feed trays--and they were running their multi-stock jobs on these and hand-collating. Since the customer's VDP software could not produce the proper PS commands for this work, which would enable them to auto-switch through the five large trays on the 1250, I had a major challenge on my hands.

I coordinated communication between the software and Creo engineering groups, and supplied the files and information they needed to work on a solution. The software company was unwilling to make any changes that would enable it to produce the required PS media commands.

Realizing they would not budge on this, I went forward with an idea for a different process that was already brewing. Creo had made a suggestion and I asked them to create a custom driver (PPD) for me. Due to a well-managed relationship, they did this within two days of the request. The PPD; however, contained only a basic set of media types and needed more to make the solution complete and fully flexible. I then edited the code in the PPD and added the additional media commands the customer needed. This was the key element in the solution, but a new PS output process from the VDP software was also needed.

The final process design, configuration and testing was done at the customer site. I then demonstrated the solution and showed that the auto-switching worked perfectly with all of the automation and flexibility they needed. They signed the deal that same day.

I then wrote up a process document and trained the programmers and operators on it. I also wrote up instructions and showed the programmers how to edit the PPD code in case they ever wanted to make additional edits or additions.

Great job dpolglaze! And, yet another example of how sales has changed over the years. If more of us would look at the sales process in that same manner, we would all be much more successful. Don't sell product or services. SELL SOLUTIONS.

-MailGuru

Very cool!

This is something which I'm currently investigating --- could you share some details on this, or the PPD?

If you are doing variable, and you use Xmpie, you can program the spreads with custom substrate calls. It will carry over with Postscript, VIPP, VPS, PDF/VT and others. If you match the substrate with the tray on the DFE, it should do the pulls as programmed.

For WillAdams: I have attached the custom PPD for the Creo that was used for this. It has a .txt extension that you need to change to .ppd if you want to use it.

Look for this chunk of SPD commands in the PPD file in a text editor to edit or add:

*OpenUI *CICKIMMediaType/Media Type: PickOne
*OrderDependency: 20 DocumentSetup *CICKIMMediaType
*DefaultCICKIMMediaType: DefMediaType
*CICKIMMediaType DefMediaType/Printer's Default: "%SCIPPD: DFE MediaType Printer's"
*CICKIMMediaType UsePrinterSettings/Use Printer Settings: "%SCIPPD: DFE MediaType UsePrinterSettings"
*CICKIMMediaType Plain/Plain: "
%SCIPPD: DFE MediaType Plain
<< /MediaType (Plain) >> setpagedevice
"
*CICKIMMediaType Plain2/Plain2: "
%SCIPPD: DFE MediaType Plain2
<< /MediaType (Plain2) >> setpagedevice
"
*CICKIMMediaType Fine/Fine: "
%SCIPPD: DFE MediaType Fine
<< /MediaType (Fine) >> setpagedevice
"
*CICKIMMediaType PrePrinted/PrePrinted: "
%SCIPPD: DFE MediaType PrePrinted
<< /MediaType (PrePrinted) >> setpagedevice
"
*CICKIMMediaType BookNews/Books/ News: "
%SCIPPD: DFE MediaType BookNews
<< /MediaType (BookNews) >> setpagedevice
"
*CICKIMMediaType Embossed/Embossed: "
%SCIPPD: DFE MediaType Embossed
<< /MediaType (Embossed) >> setpagedevice
"
*CICKIMMediaType Embossed2/Embossed2: "
%SCIPPD: DFE MediaType Embossed2
<< /MediaType (Embossed2) >> setpagedevice
"
*CICKIMMediaType BlankInsert/Blank Insert: "
%SCIPPD: DFE MediaType BlankInsert
<< /MediaType (BlankInsert) >> setpagedevice
"
*CICKIMMediaType Envelope/Envelope: "
%SCIPPD: DFE MediaType Envelope
<< /MediaType (Envelope) >> setpagedevice
"
*CloseUI: *CICKIMMediaType

I also attached a sample PS file (Multiple trays3-custppd copy) created from PrintShop Mail. If you want to run this, you'll need to change the extension back to .ps. This process of variable tray pulls can be done on the KM1250 without the Creo, although in some cases--like the customer I talked about in the original post--shops need the Creo because of this and other types of files as well as because of the file sizes and quantities, and they really needed a RIP like the Creo IC-309M to help pre-press, programming and operators manage the workflow.

The bottom line on this was that the original Creo PPD would not work with PSM the way it was written and Creo development had to figure out what needed to change. Once they did, I was able to edit this for the customer and load it so PSM could use it to output the PS withe right commands. This was really more of a limitation with PSM and not the Creo. PSM would have had to redevelop parts of the software to make this work the way we wanted, so the solution fell back to Creo R&D in Israel--they worked with me directly to come up with this.

You can call me for more info. That would be easier than communication this way. My name is Dwight...number is 603-339-3189.

Have a ball with it!

Attachments

• IC309m.txt
    70.9 KB · Views: 242
  • Multiple trays3-custppd copy.txt
    377.8 KB · Views: 242

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back