Versioning blk changes

sveibl

I am researching the best way to use common 3/c and version many black plates in pdf workflow.

Several restrictions in place. We are using EVO and relise prinergy can do this but boss won't upgrade. Customers will not use layers in Indesign. PDF compare works on screen but need digital blueline.

Any 3rd party software available. How is everyone else handling this?

Thanks for your input

Sure, depending on how things are set up you can use callas pdfToolbox to create a layer containing specific objects. If you have a sample you can send me and some parameters I can give it a shot.

Our vendor is requesting that we supply layered PDFs. While that is doable using InDesign I do have some concerns. Because at minimum Acrobat 6 (PDF 1.5) is required to make a layered PDF it will not meet PDFX standards. Is this standard no longer a concern for print vendors?

Another issue I have is proofing. We have, for example, 8 separate 100 plus page catalogs with multiple language versions. Pages are supplied as separate PDFs. If I create one layered pdf containing each language, as requested, how do I create proofs?

Traditionally, I create a base 4/C PDF with contract proof and a black plate change with a content proof for the client to approve then deliver to the vendor. So I guess my question is sveibl, how are you creating IND layered PDFs and proofing the versions. Matt, we don't have the budget for something like pdftoolbox server, how would the standalone pdftoolbox work in this situation?

Sorry to post my questions to this thread but it's the only one I've found that somewhat addresses this issue. If there are any other posts that have already discussed the topic please let me know.

Yes, you can absolutely do this with pdfToolbox Desktop/plugin. In the "switchboard" interface (looks like an iPhone) there is a button for it in the layers category. It's really straight forward, simple to do. If you need help please feel free to contact me. The demo is fully functional and does not watermark or otherwise render the resulting documents unusable. Feel free to use the demo in production to see how it works for you.

Great, I will take a look at the demo. I will take a look at the demo and let you know how things go (and any question I have).

Thanks for the info!
Adam

Our vendor is requesting that we supply layered PDFs. While that is doable using InDesign I do have some concerns. Because at minimum Acrobat 6 (PDF 1.5) is required to make a layered PDF it will not meet PDFX standards. Is this standard no longer a concern for print vendors?

That's only PDF-X/1a. You can set up a layered PDF that subscribes to PDF-X/4. You'll have to check with your print vendor to see if they can accept that. PDF-X/1a was a 'stop-gap measure'. With the passing of PostScript and CPSI RIPs it's time to move on.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back