What Are We Calling PURLs?

htollvr

I know that one of the vendors has claimed the right to use the acronym "PURL" for these applications, so how is this being handled by everyone else? "Customized websites" is an inaccurate term. "Personalized websites" is more accurate but still somewhat misleading. What are the workarounds that are being used? Or are members of the industry just calling these applications "PURL applications" regardless of the technology used to produce them? Just because it's the most recognizable term?

Thanks,

Heidi Tolliver-Nigro

We're still calling them PURLs. It's been used as a generic term widely enough (and without argument) that I can't imagine a trademark holding up.

That said, I haven't seen nearly as much discussion about the concept lately. Any big news on the topic?

I've started using the term 'landing pages' or 'personalized landing pages' instead of purls. There's lots of tutorials and guidebooks on the development of landing pages and copywriting tricks. Landing pages generally are used for a specific task, usually as a direct response page to an offer. In our case it's personalized with someones name and details, hopefully improving the response rate and click-through.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back