What causes this...

Mysterio2099

This is a scan of a printed job. My question is about the dots on the outside of everything. I usually see this when a file is converted from file type to file type. Looks horrid.

Is file conversion the cause of this?

Any quick fix tricks I don't know about?

Thanks.

:D

Dots.jpg

Am I wrong, but aren't "Printed" jobs made up of dots anyway??

Without knowing how the file was created, I'd say it looks like someone scanned a laser print that was not of high quality. A file conversion would certainly not cause this and NO there is no quick fix.

...printed jobs are made of dots generally, tinted vector text would be, this sample provided looks like it is 300dpi raster text from a product like photoshop as opposed to vector text...

...printed jobs are made of dots generally, tinted vector text would be, this sample provided looks like it is 300dpi raster text from a product like photoshop as opposed to vector text...

Yeah, customer provided it. Rasterized art must be what causes it.

Btw, the picture IS a scan of a print out, not the original file.

Did some testing. This time the problem is definitely from a (low) resolution issue.

*I have, however, had it happen when importing a customer's PDF into Photoshop to make changes (I have no other way) and re-saving. Makes the dots show up every time.

72 DPI:
NOT-72.jpg

150 DPI (looks closest to the "Habit" example):
NOT-150.jpg

300 DPI (perfect):
NOT-300.jpg

Are you able to obtain Pitstop Pro.. This tool is invaluable to fix PDF

Are you able to obtain Pitstop Pro.. This tool is invaluable to fix PDF

So I've heard. I would get it if I could, but my boss will not go for that (small company).

Can you open PDFs and edit them with Pitstop, or what? I've never looked into the program because I know I won't get it. :D

its a plug-in for Acrobat Professional.. I do not know about an standalone one. You would open the PDF in Acrobat Professional and there is a lot of tools and things you can change.

Mysterio,

The 300 dpi is far from perfect. Perfect would be vector. Vectored type, from InDesign/Quark/Illustrator/MS Word, etc. would image at the resolution of whatever output device you're going to. If you're going to a platesetter, probably 2400+ dpi. A LOT better resolution than 300 dpi. Text should never go to Photoshop if at all possible. Text should be vectored.

The "halo" of halftone dots is caused by Photoshop whenever you rasterize something into Grayscale mode. Photoshop is a photo editing tool, so it applies anti-aliasing to the edges of objects to ease the transitions between colors. While this works well for it's intended purpose in photos and in elements used in video or the web, it doesn't work well for printed line-art as you see in your example. Converting vector based files (many PDFs or EPSes) into raster based files (Tiff, PSD, JPG) will always cause this to some extent.

The anti-aliasing comes out as a halftone dot, and depending on your linescreen and resolution it can be very noticeable. Generally it's less noticeable when printing to higher linescreen values. On the lower resolution sample you provided, it looks much more gray because there are fewer pixels for Photoshop to use in the transition so more of the solid type has to turn gray to make it look smooth on screen.

The best solution for this is to not use Photoshop to edit vector based files. If you're given a PDF then the best solution is to edit it with a program that was designed for it, like Acrobat Professional and/or Pitstop. Use the built in preflighting functions to make sure they are viable and then either place in InDesign or save as an EPS out of Acrobat for placing in Quark.

As a workaround, if you have no other choice, you might be able to rasterize it in Photoshop at a higher resolution (around 1200 dpi) do your edits and then convert to Bitmap mode using the 50% threshold option. That will convert everything 50% gray or less to white and everything 51% gray or darker to black. Bitmap mode doesn't use any anti-aliasing so you won't get the halo.

Of course you won't get any grays either so it won't work as a single file for any ads that have grayscale elements in them. I've seen people go as far as to make two separate image "layers" for an ad in Photoshop and then combine them in InDesign or Quark. One "layer" is in bitmap mode at 1200 dpi and contains all the solid elements like text, the other layer is placed behind the text layer and is in grayscale mode at 300 dpi and contains all the pictures and elements with grays in them.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

If you sum up the cost of unsatisfied customers because of the effect and the medical costs of the staff nervous of customers complaining investing in pitstop is quite cheap : )
Documenting what things really cost instead of "hiding" the costs is not the way to get finances for investments that are necessary to take the business to the next level. Brace yourself, be a man and tell the boss you need propper tools.
Today having a good PDF toolbox is essential!

I simply can not see how anyone can do decent prepress without Acrobat Pro and Pitstop plug-in. Absolutely essential to my day to day workflow.

Enfocus "Neo" is a stand-alone PDF editor. However I don't think for what you're trying to accomplish pitstop would work anyway since it appears you are trying to make changes to an image rather than actual text. You could try to "export" all images in the PDF as *.tif files then open them in Photoshop rather than re-rasterize the PDF by opening it directly in Photoshop.

In Acrobat 8 this option is under "Advanced/Document Processing/Export all images". Of course depending on how the PDF has been saved this might save out quite a few little thumbnail size chunks of the larger graphic.

Use "touch up object" tool to open images and/or logos in the appropriate app. Photoshop or Illy. Save them directly back to the PDF and you don't have to waste your times rasterizing the PDF, and messing up your text.

Thanks for the replies guys. You have been quite helpful!

And Lukas, I could tell my boss I need Pitstop until I'm blue in the face. I will not get it. Penny pincher. ;)

Photoshop isn't the greatest tool for editing pdf files; the resolution setting is only one of its problems. If it's a fairly simple pdf file and the changes you need to make aren't too wild, you can use a trick in Illustrator to outline all the text in a pdf, then make your changes in Illustrator.
1. Create a new document in Illustrator,
2. Use the File / Place command to place the pdf in the Illustrator document,
3. With the placed pdf selected, pull down to Object / Flatten Transparency, then set the checkbox to Convert All Text to Outlines, and whatever other settings will work best for a given pdf file.

Hit OK, and the content of your pdf file is converted to native Illustrator objects, and all the text is converted to paths from the font outlines embedded in the pdf file. Slick! Not the best for high-volumes of pdfs that require modifications, but it works.

Thanks for the replies guys. You have been quite helpful!

And Lukas, I could tell my boss I need Pitstop until I'm blue in the face. I will not get it. Penny pincher. ;)

Telling your boss doesn't help. You need to show him/her figures. Facts. It takes time to document facts, but the one with the facts wields the power of truth. Print this forum thread out, show it to your boss. If your boss is not able to make sense out of a thread like this, chances are you will not be in business long. In that case get a private licence for pitstop, to save your headache today, and start looking for an opening in a nother business that will outlive the dinosaurs ;) (note the wink is blue in the face)

PitStop, Neo, PitStop Extreme will not help with the problem of these halftone dots from a scan. PhotoShop can help. Those "scum dots" can come from dirty optics, too little light from the bulb, etc. The sample in the original post could be from the imaging unit trying to print the solid line as a halftone (sometimes happens) or a poor quality laser printer. For that though, PhotoShop is what you need for this. No "PDF editor" will help.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back