What color machines should I look at?

mikecla

I do approx 300k / month direct mail. Most stock is either 60 or 20 lb, but everything is variable data. Right now, I'm using Print Shop Mail and have no problems running this through my Canon IR 105, in black and white of course.

The machine is on it's last leg (14 million clicks) and I would like to be able to do spot color (logos, headlines, signatures, yellow highlighting, nothing fancy or elaborate).

I was considering a Riso HC5500 or ComColor 9050, but read mixed reviews and a problem with color bleeding through duplexed sheets, requiring more expensive paper at .09 a sheet. That would put me at .13 a double sided print, whereas a toner machine would be less than a cent for the paper and .04/click. If that's the case, I might as well be able to run my volume cheaper and have the added advantage of being able to do coated stock, more choices in finishing, and probably better service.

My main concerns:
1) I don't have 3-phase power in the building, so the Canon C7000 is ruled out. Regular 208/240 would be fine, but not 3 phase.
2) Speed.
3) Duty Cycle and clicks between service calls. My runs are usually 30,000 clicks at a time (15K double-sided). I'm getting about 140,000 (mostly 70K 2 sided) clicks between service calls on my B&W machine and need a machine that will stay up as long as possible.
4) Rip controller has to be able to handle huge variable data files. At least PS3, and preferably one of the technologies that stores a master on the machine.

Pluses that would be nice:
1) Offset stacking
2) Inline Perfect Binding

According to the specs, the KM7000 runs on 220, but it doesn't say whether its 2 or 3 phase. Anyone running one of these? How would a KM6501 hold up under this kind of abuse? What else should I be looking at?

I'm also going to take some stock and sample docs to the Riso dealer and run a few before I completely rule it out. On paper, the Riso looks like a perfect fit for what I need.

Also, pre-printed shells are out of the question. Copy changes frequently and some of my docs have variable data merged in (like a city and state) with the next sentence starting a space over.

Is this even a feasibility right now at a reasonable cost, or should I just upgrade the B&W machine to an 8105?

If all your current volume is black and white, and you are not adding significant color volume, I would suggest you get a new large black and white machine, or maybe two smaller black and white machines, and that color machine on the side. A black and white click charge on a black machine will be lower than a black and white click charge on a color machine. On our Xerox color machines a b&w click is $0.02, whereas on our b&w xerox machine the b&w click is $0.008. At 300K clicks, that's a considerable amount.

I'm my experience, two machines are better than 1 machine, so you don't have a complete downtime.

My 300k monthly volume that is B&W would be converted to color, leaving me with very little B&W only left, which for now, could still run on my IR105.

I will admit I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to the digital world, getting there, but its hard to teach an old dog new tricks. I know a Riso tech who is very knowledgeable, stay away from the HC5000 and 5500 series, Comcolor is a good machine.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back