What do you think of this?

Possumgal

Adobe has decided to focus its resources on Creative Cloud and will not continue development on its Creative Suite software, reports The Next Web. While Creative Suite 6 will continue to be supported in regards to bug fixes, there will be no further updates and no Creative Suite 7.

Didn't find anything on Adobe's newsroom page about it.

IMHO . . . I don't have an issue with them going to the cloud
since the only upgrade I skipped (other than quack) would be the 5.5 version . . I am using a Muse subscription now and find it convienent and the instant updates are a plus - that is unless they stop improving it and continue to charge you the monthly "rental fee"

I think this will either make or break Adobe completely in the coming years. It's an all-in approach that will either be extremely rewarding or backlashing from existing users.

Pricing plan seems very reasonable if you already have a fixed budget for it and if you don't? Well, this is where Adobe will lose users. I gave this a bit of thought last night and I think this might affect publishing, since archiving has always been a challenge and I think this will make it even more difficult to keep versions of files consistent. Especially true, if cloud updates keep breaking files created only a few months ago. Worst scenario, think Quark nightmares but on a monthly basis? That should be fun!

Pricing plan:
https://creative.adobe.com/plans

I have the personal subscription for $30/month and while I like it so far...if they jack up the price to an unreasonable level THEY will lose me. Quark is suddenly becoming an option again.

Last edited:
I made the switch to Creative Cloud with "CS6". The strengths are obvious but here are the weaknesses I've experienced:

There are bugs in CC Illustrator that I cannot get addressed/resolved. The tech support guys were useless and a good bugreporting feature for CC is nonexistent. Esko lagged a year behind on its plugins and literally advised me to not use CC licensing.

Never underestimate the power of smaller scale developers on cloud platforms. In the past year my organization has dumped Microsoft Visio for Lucidchart.com, IBM Lotus for GoogleApps, and physical tape based backup for many servers for Carbonite online.

Adobe should have gotten a clue from all the people who downloaded CS2 apps once they discontinued the authorization connections for those apps. The help forums were so overloaded with new CS2 users Adobe had to make a special section just for them.

That's a group that won't be going to the Cloud.

I really dont like Adobe moving to a monthly subscription. I am fine if they want to give people a choice, but forcing me into a monthly rental fee for their software when I want to buy it outright leaves a bad taste in my mouth, like I am held hostage by Adobe. I will be holding back upgrading as long as I can (currently using CS6). Why do I want another monthly fee on top of all the other monthly fees? When things are slow, thats just another bill to pay, no matter how small it is. I wish there was a viable alternative to indesign. Going back to Quark, well that feels like stepping back in time, plus all the work flow we are used to using is in indesign, it would be like throwing a wrench in the gears and start learning all over to be efficient in Quark. As its pretty easy to tell from my post, not happy with this forced change and will be keeping my money away from Adobe as much as possible, but again, they have us hostage here as we need their software, clients we work with use their software and we have to support it.

I think petitions of this kind are really strange and useless. Do these people honestly think a company of Adobe's caliber didn't think their move through? Such a dramatic change in their business plan must have been discussed in endless meetings over many months. Huge amounts of money depend on it - I think they know what they're doing.
Adobe today is not a garage based, 5 crew company with 100 clients, that can say off the top of their head: "I think I'll move my product to the cloud, see how it goes". Of course they knew a lot of people would resist the change.

By the way, I'm not taking a side in this. Just my 2 cents regarding the petition.

Just a quick update: from Suite 12.1 onwards, Esko will be compatible with Adobe CC (v17.0) as well (Adobe Compatibility - Esko). This doesn't change anything on the commercial model or licensing system of Esko.

Good to hear. I am so glad Esko allows employees/associates to participate in open discussion with us end-users. This isn't the case with too many vendors.

There are bugs in CC Illustrator that I cannot get addressed/resolved.
Would like to know what bugs those are, and to have several users confirm the bug raises the priority to get it fixed. There is the official bug/feature forms, and I have found Adobe responding to/fixing reported bugs. That Esko lags behind is harder to address. I know Astute graphics are quite efficient in their updates, but it is trickier to say where the bug is if there are two or more vendors involved.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back