what is a "Class A Barcode"

DavidMa

I have a request to generate a Class A barcode.
I am currently using Barcode Pro, and I have no options for a Class A barcode.
Do any of you know what this is?
It contains 12 digits and is a straight code that resembles a Code 128.
I've contacted the SNX (Barcode Pro) people and they think the client is referring to a UPC A, but it's not.

TIA,
David

I have never heard of this 'term' used for barcode - I have heard people ask for a UPC-A

- that is, I have no experience with anyone asking me for a "Class A" barcode, and as I can't seem to find that using Google, this is either someone using an internal naming convention that is particular to their company, or the mean UPC - A

UPC-A has a fixed length of 11 characters plus the check character. Its character set is '0' to '9'.

UPC-A can also have a 2 or 5-digit add-on

Barcode Types

also;

"Basic Barcoding for Beginners" Barcode Tutorial & FAQ by IDAutomation®

David,

Do you have a bar code verifier scanner? if not, can you send me the upc and I will scan it which will tell me what type is it based on the decoding of the bars. You know that a version A has 12 numbers if you count the number system character and the check digit. One can extend the bars that usually are "raised" to accommodate the numbers so the code will look like a 128, but still read like a version A. I remember years ago when a graphic artist added pussy willow tops to the top of the bars to make it blend in graphically - neat trick.

-Bill-

yeah,I've been googling it for two days and came up empty handed, too.

I have scanners and everything, but, nothing to tell me if anything I do is a "class A".
I'm thinking it's an internal name as well, but the client is "just make it a class a, use whatever barcode you want"...
They won't tell me what software they use to make a Class A barcode, that would be too easy.
I smell a rat.

Greetings David,

If you have a printed sample of the UPC, your bar code verifier will tell you what kind of UPC it is when you scan it - if it is scannable.

In the old days I used to call the Uniform Code Council to ask if the number I had was valid and it did indeed belong the company I am working with. The last number I have for them is 513-435-3870.

-Bill-

The only thing I get from any of the scanners here is the human readable confirmation.
It doesn't tell me what type of barcode it is.
As far as the number being valid, they (the client) supply the number, we generate the barcode, scan to check readability, green light, good to go.

thanks for all your ideas,
David

Class A is not a type of barcode, so it is a result you get when checking the barcode when you read it with a Barcode Reader. A means it is 100% within the specs of that barcode type.
You can get A, B, C, D (i think) A and B are OK rest is not good enough.

here are the specs we were given to create the barcodes with:

Class: A
Font Size: .1389 in.
Barcode Height: 100%
Ink Spread: -.0021

Does this look familar?
My barcode software doesn't have these types of settings, my fonts are in points and 100% size of what?

dunno,
thanks for the help,
David

Yes you are missing some very important info:
- Barcode Type ( like EAN, APB,....)
- And at last most important the barcode number.

Rest is OK:
_ 100% means you cant scale it depending in the type of barcode there is some scaling allowed, like in EAN 13 you can scale from 80% to 200%, does not mean the printer wants this. In your case the printer only wants 100%
_ Ink Spread: -.0021 = the BWR (barwide reduction), very important to compensate fore the printing process

The font size dont matter for the barcode itself, barcode reader never reads the numbers but reads the lines, so that is only cosmetic

And the Class A means that it has to give you a A as result when the barcode is read with a barcode reader after it is printed.

Sorry about my bad english, but i hope you get it.

yeah, I know all of that, but what I don't know is what kind of barcode they want.

I have attached a sample for any who would like to check it out.

thanks,
David

Attachments

• Code.jpg
    Code.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 225
Last edited:
Class A is the ANSI grading scale, as CHM explained. David- you should be determining the BWR / Ink Spread based on your dot gain at press. To ensure the dot gain doesn't create fill in between the bars and give you a below "A" reading.

If you give me the # for the code I can generate it for you to the specs.

Vee

It's a UPC A code.

Attachments

• UPCA 400022047104.eps.zip
    73.8 KB · Views: 228
Last edited:
Greetings David,

My bar code verifier reads that code as a U.P.C A @ 100%.

Hope this helps.

-Bill-

to all who responded, I have found out what the barcode is.
We use Barcode Pro, manufactured by SNX.
Desmond, the tech guy at SNX, spent two days and figured it out.
It is actually a UPC A, but heavily modified to look like a Code 128.
The client supplied too many numbers in the codes, we have to remove the last one, which is the check digit, and remove the human readables, then add the correct copy in afterwords.

PITA

thanks for all your help,
David

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back