What printer should I buy: iGen4 / Nexpress S2500 / Indigo 3500

Ditto on that. We are spending an average of seven hours per week on maintenance and down time and we only run one shift. To add insult to ijury HP supplies such as blankets and impression paper have gone down hill. We throw blaniets all the time where we never threw one before so now that means we are losing money because of HP trying to save money.

Enter iGen 4. For maybe a little more than the HP 5500 we produce about 10 times more work ... in part due to its larger format 14.33 x 26 but also due to less and faster maintenance. What about quality - It's Great!

What about service? - They come when called and get it fixed but we don't need to call very often so far.

With HP you will waste 15 to 20 min or more with online support. Then if you get too many tech visits, say more than one per month, you get billed.

The best thing I can say about HP is that if you started on one, moving to xerox will be like moving to heaven!

[SNIP]
About the above quote, it is like an offset press but the only issue, contrary to what is stated above, is it rips at a low resolution (600 or max 1200 dpi) so it will never be as sharp on text or fine dot as an offset press (which is minimum 2400 dpi up to 6000+ for FM screens)

Where did you get the idea that you need up to 6000+ dpi to do FM screens on an offset press?

thx, gordo

Where did you get the idea that you need up to 6000+ dpi to do FM screens on an offset press?

thx, gordo

I don't know... what resolution do you run ?

To be able to accurately image a 1-3% screen with ultrafine FM you would need a pretty small pixel size yes ?

I don't know... what resolution do you run ?

To be able to accurately image a 1-3% screen with ultrafine FM you would need a pretty small pixel size yes ?

So, you don't know.
Well, you can do 10 (10.6 actually) micron FM screening on a 2400 dpi CTP device since a single pixel at 2400 dpi is 10.6 microns.

BTW, on a 2400 dpi CTP device, a 1% dot at 240 lpi is a single pixel 10.6 microns in size.

best, gordo

Last edited:
So, you don't know.
Well, you can do 10 (10.6 actually) micron FM screening on a 2400 dpi CTP device since a single pixel at 2400 dpi is 10.6 microns.

BTW, on a 2400 dpi CTP device, a 1% dot at 240 lpi is a single pixel 10.6 microns in size.

best, gordo

Well.. you learn something new everyday !

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back