What would you choose has your dream system?

saint

We are going to be setting up a new shop and are looking for some advice.
What would you put together has the perfect system and why?

These are the items that we need (if you think we need something else add it).

1. CTP 4up with Autoload and Punch (Prefer process free. What plates would you suggest using)
2. Rip
3. Workflow
4. PDS-E System
5. Proofer

Thanks.

Re: What would you choose has your dream system?

Heidelberg Suprasetter A74 (Kodak Thermal Direct plates)
Prinect MetaDimension
SignaStation

Don't know about the proofer...

Just my opinion..

Of the CTP devices I've run; Screen is my favorite. Very dependable, good tech support, access to ALL necessary controls (ie. laser power, drum speed, focus, et cetera).

Workflow/RIP depends on what you're doing with it. What's best for commercial sheetfed probably isn't any good for packaging, or publication, or ...

As for Proofers, again it depends on your market. If inkjets will satisfy your clients, then it'd be pretty tough to beat an Epson (or the HP Z series) driven by GMG. In all fairness, though, at the IPA Proofing Roundups the last couple of years ALL entrants have been at 1.5 deltaE or below. This means they're all VERY capable.

PDS-E - are you talking about autoscanning densitometry/colorimetry? That'll depend on the press you select. PDS is Komori, isn't it? I've spoken to some folks who like it. MAN Roland is the only press manufacturer that's embracing the Brunner system. From what I've observed Heidelberg is the front runner in this area, though. And I mean WAAAAAAAAAAYYYYY out in front. They've got stuff that's freakin' science fiction.

Don't forget a spectro, color management software, and a package for monitoring proofs.

rich

Creodak Lotem/magnus. Fuji ctp plates have always performed well with very few issues.

What do you produce? Folding cartons Artpro/nexus combo.

Epson9800 or the likes.

Screen thermal plate device (without question)
Any Harlquin based Rip (Xitron)
Fuji PJ (positive) or Pro-T (negative) processless plates.
DFE should be customized to type of work you are doing for example Dalim (jdf), EskoArtworks (3-D box work), simple postscript (budget or native files only).
Epson proofer driven by GMG or Black Magic.

Of these the important one is the DFE, IMO. The other things are really no brainers.
Pay attention to Adobe Print Engine as that may be all our futures.
If pdf editing, look into Enfocus Pitstop (for now) and then Neo.

We do Commercial printing, Sheetfed offset.
I don't know if that helps.

What do think about going with a full Heidelberg System?

Edited by: saint on Sep 17, 2007 11:57 AM

> {quote:title=saint wrote:}{quote}
> We are going to be setting up a new shop and are looking for some advice.
> What would you put together has the perfect system and why?

This is going to one of those threads where most of what is said is personal preferance/ experiance based. Do you home work and ask real users about what your thinking of in the end before pulling the trigger.

> These are the items that we need (if you think we need something else add it).
>
> 1. CTP 4up with Autoload and Punch
AGFA, nice set up, rock solid hard ware. This is my experience with previous hardware of theirs I see no reason for the new stuff to be any less sufficient. I was very impressed with the Azura plate as well even though there's still a processor. My understanding is the chemical is "perpetual" As in you drain what's in the tank back to the supply jug, rinse the machine with water and refill.

> 2. Rip
> 3. Workflow
RAMpage with RAMpage Remote. This is a personal preference. I run some really old hardware and still fly through work with this rip. I hear the new boxes and versions are just blazing as well. RAMpage becomes your workflow. Everything you do will revolve around the RIP.

> 4. PDS-E System
Sorry not sure what this is now. Not up on my accronyms I guess.

> 5. Proofer
Things are a changing, some new items coming out. Epson has been a long standing champ but there's a lot of buzz about some new HPs. Certainly get a third part rip to drive it. EFI or GMG. Both are outstanding. For dyluxing if you can swing you need one of them two sided hypen proofer deals. uses 2 cannon printers lined up back to back and feed the roll continuously through both. Very slick

EPP Manager • Brass City Printery
OSX 10.4.10 • RAMpage 9.4 • Dynastrip 4.2
EFI Colorproof XF • Avantra 30 • Epson 7600

> {quote:title=saint wrote:}{quote}
> We do Commercial printing, Sheetfed offset.
> I don't know if that helps.
>
> What do think about going with a full Heidelberg System?
>
> Edited by: saint on Sep 17, 2007 11:57 AM

I've worked on a Heidelberg Front end feeding 2 - 20 x 29 presses. I am NOT impressed, except with Signa. very nice Imposition app. The rest of the software is so/so. The platesetter/processor was the bane of our existence. (violet system)

EPP Manager • Brass City Printery
OSX 10.4.10 • RAMpage 9.4 • Dynastrip 4.2
EFI Colorproof XF • Avantra 30 • Epson 7600

I have meetings in the morning with;
Heidelberg
Kodak
Fuji
and Xpedx (local dealer of different systems).

I'll let you guys know how it goes.

To reply to a question in one of the replies above. When I say "PDS-E" I mean an automatic densitometer system that scans the printed sheet an adjusts the press ink keys.

PS I forgot to say that if you want to try out either of these two products
below, you can download them from our web site and try them out. Lightning
TIFF will work in demo mode for 7 days (needs any Hqn RIP from 5.x onwards)
and FirstPROOF for 28 days (any Hqn RIP from 3.x onwards).

Hello,

We have a new Kodak system - CTP - Magnus 400 and Prinergy Evo Workflow with Kodak Thermal Direct plates - procesless.

Evrything goes nice for now - (5 months).

May I invite you to look at EskoArtwork's complete workflow called EskoSuite 7.
http://www.esko.com

Good luck in your new enterprise !

Bruno, do you have the Magnus "Quantum" or the regular Magnus?

What line screen are you using?
I was told by the a sales person that the Magnus 200 line has a sharper dot than others ctp systems.

Re: What would you choose as your dream system?

Re: What would you choose as your dream system?

I'd go for a total solution from a single vendor. You'll be assured everything works together and there's no finger pointing if something does not work right off the bat, you call one person and tell them to get it fixed rather than hearing them say oh, well our product isn't 100% compatible with theirs. There is no need to piece together a system when you can get everything from one vendor that has proven themselves over the years as a leader in both press and pre-press.

One stop shopping.
http://www.agfa.com/en/gs/products_services/prod_cat/index.jsp

CTP Equip:
http://www.agfa.com/en/gs/products_services/all_products/acento.jsp

Screening:
http://www.agfa.com/en/gs/products_services/all_products/abs.jsp

Chem free plates:
http://www.agfa.com/en/gs/products_services/all_products/azura.jsp

RIP/Workflow - Apogee X (scalable to suit any need):
http://www.agfa.com/en/gs/products_services/all_products/apogeex_commercial.jsp

Color Management:
http://www.agfa.com/en/gs/products_services/all_products/qms.jsp

Proofers:
http://www.agfa.com/en/gs/products_services/all_products/Sherpa_43_54_62.jsp

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back