Where to start .....

The Graphic Whizard works fine on offset stocks like 67# Bristol and even 110# Index, but once you put toner on the sheet, it cracks on the fold. We have been using a table top manual Morgana machine until now, we are taking delivery of a used Morgana Digifold 5000p next week - will make things much easier when we have to do 500 100#C trifolds!

Would love to hear how you like the Morgana Digifold once you get some use out of it. I looked at one a while back and they seemed pretty slick but then I was told "by a Duplo Salesman" that they are terrible piles of steaming doo doo. Really interested to see what you think

Would love to hear how you like the Morgana Digifold once you get some use out of it. I looked at one a while back and they seemed pretty slick but then I was told "by a Duplo Salesman" that they are terrible piles of steaming doo doo. Really interested to see what you think

We actually told the seller to take it back. Bought it for about $15,000 or so from what I remember, used quite a bit, but still very far away from its end of life. The damn thing couldn't crease 65# cover lynx without dog-earing the sheet, so we returned it within their satisfaction window. We're still in the market for a machine, and I think the newer generation Morgana DigiFold or whatever they are calling it probably does a great job. If you are looking for a quality machine, Duplo is definitely the way to go from what I know, we just only jumped on the Morgana because it was a steal.

That's good to hear. We run J75s and don't generally have quality or speed problems, primarily our concerns rely on speed of service when we do have a problem.
The SIQA tool is very important in getting the alignment near perfect. Just depends on the kind of work you do I guess..

Speed ... While I wish the machine was faster, it's wa-a-a-a-y faster than when we sent our work out, plus, we don't turn work away any more. One of the techs that have worked on our machine told me that if our volume ever went up to where we really felt we needed a faster machine that we may be better off just getting another one of the same model that we have ..... yes, speed would double, but I guess there wouldn't be a learning curve on operating it, but also the supplies wouldn't have to be duplicated, nor need the storage space for those supplies. He also said that faster machines usually require more maintenance .... higher speeds/more production/more demands put on the machine.

SIQA Tool ... When they were installing the machine the tech told me that I was more picky than any of his other customers. What did he expect, I'm a printer, not some button pusher that wouldn't even know how to check to see if the front and back were even aligned together? ;) I understand that the larger machines have simplified this whole process.

Booklet Maker .... Yes, we use ours. It definitely slows the machine down, but it saves time and does a pretty good job.

Envelope Printing ... Ours has the extra-capacity feeder, and it includes an attachment for running envelopes. It is limited to #10s and Monarch envelopes, and we have to jump through a few hoops to get it to print (seems to be less hoops the more we use it). It's cost prohibitive for most runs, but we have used it and been very pleased with the results. The quality beats the inkjet envelope printers' results, but again, cost is an issue.

I can't imagine quality being any better than what we're getting all around on this machine. It just needs to run more.

We have the GW PT 335 whatever comes after that... It "whacks" the page with a die to create a crease. One issue we have had however is running 2up on it most of the time the pages do not go in the same direction as the die so we have to cut the stock in half and run 1up and the machine is not that great with smaller sheets, most of the time we just have to run 1up on a larger sheet and cut our losses. It has scoring on the exit for going the other direction but it is not as good as the creasing die.

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back