Which Printing association should I join?

Brett S

I just purchased a small printing company three months ago and we are looking to join a printing association. So which one? We have the following equipment: DPM 2340/AB Dick 1-color with a T-head/mix of scoring, stitching, folding, and misc. bindery/Canon IR 7095/Xerox 700

I assumed that the NAQP was the way to go based on our equipment, but what about the PIA? Any thoughts?

Judging by your equipment mix, Brett, NAQP would probably be your best fit. But before joining any trade association, ask yourself this: What can they do to help me grow my business that I'm not doing already? What's the minimum benefit I can expect by becoming a member?

Then check out their book stores. NAQP offers detailed and up-to-date pricing studies for small to mid-size printers (https://secure2.digitalims.net/naqp...icing+Study&prod_name=2004/2005+Pricing+Study), while the PIA claims to have the widest selection of graphic arts titles in the industry (http://www.printing.org/store). Both offer substantial discounts to members. Which are the books you're most likely to buy? And how much of the annual dues would be offset by the discounts?

Hal Heindel

Last edited:
I think that some of the information that they give you for joining (various pricing studies, white papers) should help offset the cost of membership in the first year. The other reason to join is the peer networks, I would like to learn better business practices from people in a non-competitive setting. I agree that the NAQP seems to be better suited for my current market segment, but it seems like the PIA has quite a few similar size members as well. I just received a packet from the PIA listing all of their members in my tri-state area, there are quite a few smaller shops. If you think this information or the peer network is available in another way please let me know. Thanks for the response.

The other reason to join is the peer networks, I would like to learn better business practices from people in a non-competitive setting.

Brett, that would be PIA. For general guidance, anyway. For help with specific issues, you'll be hard pressed to find more seasoned advise and a more supportive group of people outside the confines of this peer network - PrintPlanet.

Annual membership dues? Zero.

Hal Heindel

Brett,

Yet another point to consider that might tip the scale in favor of PIA: Adobe's decision to terminate its Partner Connection Print Service Provider program next month.

Citing declining participation in the program, Adobe says they intend to replace it with another, as-yet-undefined support scheme that will likely involve getting support through the regional affiliates of Printing Industries of America.

Hal

Used to be a member, Brett, when Unitac was still a printing company. We're now a software vendor, but have kept most of the bindery equipment (cutter, MBO folder, Rosback stitcher). The three presses we had (two Multis and a Ryobi 3302M with Crestline) have been replaced by Xerox digital black and color printers.

Our printing operations are now strictly in-plant. We have to constantly update our user manuals, so keeping everything in house made sense. That also allows us to print on demand. Orders received in the morning usually leave that same afternoon.

Were we satisfied with what PIA had to offer? Absolutely. Not really worth it for a small in-plant shop, though.

http://www.printfire.com/company.html

Attachments

• CBX.jpg
    CBX.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 185
  • PrintShop2.jpg
    PrintShop2.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:
Hi Brett,
The NAQP Group on LinkedIn has 96 members. I suggest you call and introduce yourself to a couple of them, ask their experience and what value has the membership brought to their company.

LinkedIn's Digital Printing group has 7,510 members and 5 sub-groups. - The key is to find an active group with frequent and current Discussions, News, etc. It's a great way to expand your network and share information/experience in and around your suppliers, customers and academics; you'll find, and be found. Good Luck!

Hi All
I think joining NIA and NAQP have their own advantages. One think that i am unsure about is that whether the type of equipment we have should decide that which association should we join?

Well, NPES would be equally beneficial for you Brett.

Thanks

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back