Workflow opinions/comparisons

Chopper1

Hello all,

In my experience, EPP operators generally like and defend the workflow they are currently using.
That said, why?
I'd like to read some pro's and con's of workflow from people who have changed systems in the past couple years.
In particular, I'd like to see if anyone has moved from Apogee to Esko AE or AE to Apogee. What do you like or dislike about your current workflow versus the previous one.

Thanks!

I've used several, and the one I currently use is definitely not my favorite! Of the ones I've used, I listed them in my preference from best to worst:

Prinergy
Apogee
Nexus
(I've used other ones, too, but they are old so I won't include them here).

What I loved about Prinergy is that it was very well thought out and just seemed to make sense. Extremely flexible and customizable, and came with the best training I've ever had - left Rochester after a week feeling like an expert, and since I knew what it could do it opened my eyes for how it should be configured in my shop.

Apogee is very reliable, but it seemed less user-friendly than Prinergy. Once it is all set up you can do pretty much anything with it, but the documentation and help files were lacking. Lots of things didn't seem intuitive. Didn't love the on-site training, either - they help you set it up for your situation, but I'd rather know everything it is capable of so I can determine how to configure everything.

Currently running Nexus 9.5.7. Not a fan, but that could be partially due to the way this shop has set things up. Very click-heavy, and not intuitive at all. Unlike the other 2 workflows, I wasn't a part of research/install on this setup.

Hi Dan,
We've been running Nexus since 2001 (I believe). The workflows I set up are very automated and require very little intervention. If you'd like, I'll send you a few. I think you'd be able to restore them but they might not be usable because of your module licenses and also because we are running 10.1. Of course the output destination paths would not be valid.

Thanks, Chopper1. Our setups are automated up to a point, but still require a lot of manual intervention along the way. Again, I think it's really due to the nature of our work (books only) and the way in which they decided to build things years ago.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back