Xerox D95, 110, 125

buckeyewta

Anbody have anything to share about the Xerox D series? We are looking at the D95. Monthly B&W volume is 50-100k. The Xerox rep says he never sells these with Fiery. He says they come with built in controllers but can be run from Command Workstation. Anybody have any experience with this?? We run a lot of documents with 1000+ pages so want to make sure it will handle large documents fast enough.

We have a D110, installed about 3 years ago and run approx. 100k-130k per month it's been a great machine and other than the usual parts changes and service its a great machine and sound perfect for the level of output you have. We have a free flow rip on it which works fine as this is just a mono press. We also run a 700 and J75 both with external fierys. Personally I wouldn't have anything other than fiery front ends on colour machines. Any other questions please ask. Cheers Ed

We have a D110, installed about 3 years ago and run approx. 100k-130k per month it's been a great machine and other than the usual parts changes and service its a great machine and sound perfect for the level of output you have. We have a free flow rip on it which works fine as this is just a mono press. We also run a 700 and J75 both with external fierys. Personally I wouldn't have anything other than fiery front ends on colour machines. Any other questions please ask. Cheers Ed

Yours has the Free Flow. The D95 comes standard with a Xerox internal server. Does anyone have any experience with the Xerox server?

How about the D136? We are replacing our Varioprint 4120 because it is no longer supported in Canada. We are considering the Canon Varioprint D135, The Xerox D136 and the Konica Minolta 1250. We also inquired about the Ricoh 8120s. We do from 250,000 to 650,000 per month. We are also looking for a replacement for the Oce C655. Any suggestions welcome.

Anbody have anything to share about the Xerox D series? We are looking at the D95. Monthly B&W volume is 50-100k. The Xerox rep says he never sells these with Fiery. He says they come with built in controllers but can be run from Command Workstation. Anybody have any experience with this?? We run a lot of documents with 1000+ pages so want to make sure it will handle large documents fast enough.

They are a great light production black and white printer. You really don't need a powerful DFE on a mono device unless you are RIP'ing large PDF files or doing tab or VDP printing (not including simple mail merge jobs).

Good luck!

We have the D95 for about 18 months now. We have the internal RIP as well. It is self contained and cannot be viewed from Command Workstation, only from the Xerox display. I hate it, but the Fiery add on is way out of line on price.

The RIP is clunky, non-intuitive and limits many features that you'd think are basic functions. For example, you cannot print a ripped file to Letter-R paper. You would have to print that direct to the machine. You also cannot setup job finishing while printing from the desktop ie, paper tray, front to back, finishing etc. You can only send the pages and have to setup finishing at the machine at print time. With a Fiery, you can setup a complete job and just print it when ready.

There is no variable data built in at all, like Fiery FreeForm. There is a lot of RIP time involved now that I have to mailmerge with artwork on the desktop then print those files to the machine.

The machine itself is a workhorse. No complaints...

Gary

Last edited:
We have the D95 for about 18 months now. We have the internal RIP as well. It is self contained and cannot be viewed from Command Workstation, only from the Xerox display. I hate it, but the Fiery add on is way out of line on price.

The RIP is clunky, non-intuitive and limits many features that you'd think are basic functions. For example, you cannot print a ripped file to Letter-R paper. You would have to print that direct to the machine. You also cannot setup job finishing while printing from the desktop ie, paper tray, front to back, finishing etc. You can only send the pages and have to setup finishing at the machine at print time. With a Fiery, you can setup a complete job and just print it when ready.

There is no variable data built in at all, like Fiery FreeForm. There is a lot of RIP time involved now that I have to mailmerge with artwork on the desktop then print those files to the machine.

The machine itself is a workhorse. No complaints...

Gary

So if you have a pdf file that you wanted to print you would need to open it in Acrobat, print it to a print queue then do your final setup on the printer touchscreen??? So does it stored ripped files at all? Or do any reprints need to be ripped again?

So if you have a pdf file that you wanted to print you would need to open it in Acrobat, print it to a print queue then do your final setup on the printer touchscreen??? So does it stored ripped files at all? Or do any reprints need to be ripped again?

Thanks exactly how jobs flow to the internal D95 server. They are saved in the RIP for reprints and finishing changes.

Well, we signed for the D95 this morning. Installing in about a week. Will try to report back in a few weeks.

Well, we installed the D95. Have had it running about 10 days now. So far not impressed at all. The front end is not very user friendly. We use it for a lot of booklets. The simple booklets settings we are used to on Fiery servers are very well hidden. The machine will not run coated stocks at all. I have run some but it jams every 5 minutes.

Hey Buckeye - So I have Xerox coming in to propose a D136 today. We run a mix of jobs, but a lot of them are saddle stitched books. Plan on getting the Plockmatic 50. We do have the occasion of running coated paper. Should I question heavily anything in particular? I have an idea we have the same sales rep too.

Got the D95 running pretty good now. We have about 40K on it now with not very many jams anymore. The machine is a workhorse and is very fast. The main complaint right now is the front end. The Xerox drivers are pretty clumsy for booklets etc.

Does anyone have any luck duplexing coated stocks on a D5/110/125? Trying to run booklets on 100# gloss text. The problem is there is no 150 gsm coated setting. The coated paper settings go from 100 gsm to 215. 100 gsm will jam in the fuser. 215 gsm will not duplex. There is a setting for 150 gsm uncoated but uncoated stocks do not have air assist in the feed tray and will feed doubles. Have a tech checking into cheating software somehow to enable air assist for all paper types.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back