Xerox J75 - First Impressions and Review-ette

che.c

Hi folks, it's been a long long time since I've posted on here. I'm not one for loitering on the digital print forums any more however we just got this new machine installed at our place and the it's performance has moved me to share!

Our old set up was a 700 and a DC260. We rolled the 260 out back and did the kind thing, then got a new J75 in to replace it.

Wow.

What a machine. Xerox has really pulled it out of the bag here. You're talking a machine with the same footprint as a 700 and I think vaguely similar running costs. This is not iGen territory, this isn't even Colour 1000 territory. We're talking equivalent to a KM C6000/7000 price wise.

The install was brilliantly executed by the engineers from Xerox (we recently switched from Danwood) and the machine was ready to rock by the end of the day. The machine is supplied with a Fiery EX, ES-2000 Spectrophotometer and Fiery Colour Profiler Suite. Ours also includes an inline spectro (integrated into the FIM, which is actually now the, erherm, inline cooling unit).

To set the scene this is a busy print shop so work was still going through the 700 while this was happening. I'm the sole operator and am very experienced with the 700, have made it jump through many hoops-a-flaming and am also well acquainted with the service rep screens. This is how J75 and I got along. I spent a wee while reading through some docs and setting up Quick-Access on CWS, set it to our colour workflow up and chose a screen option that could be the same across both machines (I also made sure I wasn't sacrificing quality - there's a lot of choices for the J75).

From here I ran up a profile for Coated board stock, took a few runs at it (they've changed how CPS [Colour Profiler Suite] works) with good results and minimal effort. The ES-2000 is hugely upgraded. The scanning table has an improved ruler which measures the movement speed of the spectro, giving much more consistent results. The ES-2000 itself also now has an RGB LED on top and this tells you of status, successful and failed readings and so on, brilliant feature as those of you who have tried scanning loadsa patches without looking at the screen might realise...

Anyone who has operated a 700 will know that they can have trouble fusing heavy coverage on coated stock... I expected the same behaviour from the J75. Nevertheless, I thought I would chance my arm and set it to Productivity Mode (aka All-Weights - max speed for all stocks) to see what happened. It perfectly fused heavy coverage on a 350gsm Coated board, at the same quality as our 700 does. Only in this case it only took four seconds to duplex.

Four seconds. That's four seconds per full-colour, double sided SRA3 sheet of 350gsm Coated stock. DAMN. Remember the price point of this machine.

If you've run a 700 you will be familiar with the output, the J75 and it are so similar that I was able to run a job proofed weeks ago on our 700 on this machine instead. Since then I've run various jobs and various stocks and it's been quite the performer on all of them, amazing speed and quality on everything, lovely flat uncurled output and no jams.

The philosophy behind this machine is production, there are a lot of points that reflect that and features I've wanted for are included in droves. From the small things like the fuser having tickboxes for the different sizes of paper (use your SRA3 fuser for that, A3 fuser for the other, A4 and so on) that will help you prevent marks to the large hope of SIQA. It seems you can scan your page with crop marks and it automagically generates alignment profiles. You can also correct inboard/outboard density automatically. This promises a lot, I don't have it installed yet as we are waiting on the engineer from England but we'll see...

To be fair the machine is not perfect, I feel that they f*cked the pooch with the UI. For some reason it was redesigned so that you're usually only using a tiny strip in the middle of the screen... much more scrolling. It's by no means intolerable, but it is certainly a shame. Composite overprint also produces some very unusual results. It's early days yet, I've only had the machine running a couple of days and it's still in the honeymoon period, so we'll see.

What I can say is that this machine is strong out of the gate and very impressive. I am inspired enough by its performance to come on here and post for the first time in a long time.

In my print shop we joke about the "big photocopiers" even though they say Digital Press on the front. This machine really is almost worthy of being called a printing press, it spits out the work at a great quality (ready to be immediately worked with, litho guys) and quite the speed. Now if they can only finagle it so that I can adjust registration on the fly...

@che.c - Thanks for the review! I've been waiting for feedback on the J75. I'm curious as to how it does over the long-haul. The specs put the recommended volume at only 75,000 images per month. That concerns me. Please post back in a couple of months to let us know how it holds up in heavy production. Thanks again!

Wow you sound like you got a great deal. We just got pricing on the J75 and it was nearly 40% more than the KM 7000. Of course the J75 has the inline spectrophotometer so the two are not really comparable.

Did they improve some of the plastic things that they were using on the 700. They were never a big problem but unfortuately give the machine a cheap feeling.

Thanks for the first impressions.

We're 12,000 clicks down the line and the machine is still going great. I'm waiting for a bracket to bolt the feeder to the engine so I ain't bothering to finalise the registration yet but it's still doing pretty good. There's some trapezoidal scaling that needs corrected and I see the tools there in the menu options so I'm confident I'll be able to get it printing well. Here's some general thoughts in no particular order:

Registration
Front to back is excellent and seems a bit better than the 700, then again it is a brand new machine. It is very stable from sheet to sheet, on coated and uncoated stock. It is also very forgiving with stock that is less than square or varying in size.

Colour and Print Quality
I have the machine fully profiled for productivity mode now and it sure spits the work out. I am very pleased with the solids it produces, single colour black is also impressively uniform. Most halftones are nice and even, without any texture to them, and are very consistent from beginning to end of the run (once the machine is warmed up of course). I think flesh tones are a little yellow, but nothing major and the output really does match our 700 very closely. You can change the image transfer % on custom paper from 10-300 now instead of 50-200 which is nice.

Build Quality
More solid. More serious. The fuser drawer feels sturdier now, with less play in it. Also the feeder trays have less play and are slightly stiffer to slide, but in a good way. Inside the drawers though, I usually use the paper guides to knock up the sheets and that doesn't work so well any more, think the geometry is a little off - however this is not reflected in the output which is very consistent. Fit and finish is about the same level as the 700 with the covers mostly lining up. None of the machine parts bind and everything opens, moves and operates smoothly.

Miscellania
You don't change the charge corotron on the black drum any more - it is a built in part. The scanner seems to work a little faster. The ILS takes nine sheets of SRA3 paper to do a calibration - very wasteful - so I still do it manually with the ES-2000. Toner is CRUM compatible with the 700, don't know about drums yet. No need to be logged in as admin when making adjustments to alignment profiles etc which is handy. You can clean the feed tray rollers without removing the covers now - smart. I'm not sure that I like Fiery system FS1000, there's some good features but the colour workflow seems a little nonsensical at times, particularly the new spot colour matching profile selection.

@MailGuru
Glad you got some interest from the review. I think the 75000 is quoted as A3 rather than the usual A4 which puts it at a pretty productive level. That being said, the duty cycle (it will fall apart beyond this) is 450,000 which should be plenty! I'm anticipating putting about 75k a month through it. Our 700 has certainly managed to cope with a similar amount of abuse outstandingly.

@PrairieDog
Which plastic bits in particular? The thing generally feels like a step up from the 700 and when running it generally sounds more controlled and solid.

The guides on the internal paper trays. Ours (on the 700) have not broken but we fight with them to get into the right spot. On the C7000 they are metal, not sure they will be good at aligning but they seem to feel better and more of a production machine. As my wife says "New Steel" not plastic - she is likely not as thrifty as Xerox - right {lol}.

very interesting review read! I could piggyback my own review, but alas I'm not a typical thread-jacker, so I'll probably be making my own review thread LOL! I don't have the experience with the 7xx models to make the comparisons, but I can surely compare my experience with Konica-Minolta machines.

I will make the comment though that comparing a J75 to a 700 is a little skewed, mechanically/specification wise the J75 is more like the 770, whereas the C75 is comparable to the 700.

Actually, I'd love to hear of any bugs/problems you have encountered with your J75s... my list is quite extensive LOL

If I understand the way Xerox totes the in-line spectrophotometer you have to have the Xerox Free Flow front end to have it calibrate in-line.

Quote from the Xerox J75 brochure:
Reduces color variation because operators forget to calibrate or
calibrate off schedule due to workload. (FreeFlow® Print Server only.)

If I understand the way Xerox totes the in-line spectrophotometer you have to have the Xerox Free Flow front end to have it calibrate in-line.

Quote from the Xerox J75 brochure:
Reduces color variation because operators forget to calibrate or
calibrate off schedule due to workload. (FreeFlow® Print Server only.)

It works with both RIPs, FFPS and EFI

Actually, I'd love to hear of any bugs/problems you have encountered with your J75s... my list is quite extensive LOL

You having issues with a J75? We are currently shopping around for a new machine, and right now its between an imagepress 6010vp and a J75.

You having issues with a J75? We are currently shopping around for a new machine, and right now its between an imagepress 6010vp and a J75.

Sounds like he is having new product bugs which are common with communication between the DFE and the IOT software. The large bugs usually get worked out in the first 6 months after launch.

any time a new machine comes out, there are always bugs... we were the first company in all of Denver to get a J75, it literally JUST came out. If you want to talk about "buggy", you should have seen the release of the Canon 7000VP LOL!

Most are not "problems" per'se, I've just been documenting instances of things not working logically or perhaps a feature that doesn't.

I've been meaning to reply for a while here, finally got a minute!

@PrairieDog
I'm afraid the internal paper trays are still made from unicorn kisses and fairy promises. That being said, they're still fit for my purpose (which is a bit of A4 and A3 plain paper - all jobs are run from the hi-cap feeder) and they've added a wee latch thing to help keep them locked into the machine.

@EdwardB
Fire a review in! Might as well make this thread about the J75 instead of making people trawl through for info. I'm sure there's not much out there at the min anyways. What type of issues are you experiencing?

@wonderings
I've had no personal experience of the Imagepress series but all I've ever heard is that you might as well get your engineer his own desk and coffee cup because he'll never be out of the place. The output I've seen has been fantastic quality, but reliability...

The ILS does work perfectly, it just noms up far too many sheets for my taste. It can create calibration sets (semi- output profiles) and calibrate the machine and both these features work as expected.

Our machine has run pretty much perfectly. I'm about 40k clicks down the line now I think, varied coated and uncoated, paper and card and it's performed beautifully on everything. I'm getting 'training' on thursday, not sure what the contents of that are going to be, I'm expecting SIQA and maybe CPS although we'll see how much use that is!

We've got the feeder bolted to the engine now, by what at first appearance was a much over-engineered bracket, however it turned out to do a fantastic job. I'm just waiting on the registration being finalised as the engine is currently at its max hardware skew adjustment and still needing a little software adjustment to get good reg. I know which procedure fixes it on the 700 but our engineer says they've changed the registration procedures a bit for the J75 and he has to read up on it first.

A3/A4 paper? you in Europe? Our machines actually might be slightly different then...

I just hit 99k (and first drum change... didn't even "need" it actually) and 155k on the other... not bad for the first 5 weeks of use

We have had our C75 for about 4 months now, and have put around 600K clicks on it, almost entirely 11x17 or larger. Service has been in to replace the black developer, a sheet alignment motor, the roller just before the fuser, because it had a low spot causing a pea sized hole in our prints, a wiper blade, and finally a new board on our booklet maker. This is the only one that completely shut the machine down.

My only real complaints so far are the poor quality printing on laid and linen stocks.

Last edited:

We were shopping between the two machines (6010vp and J75). I liked both machines, the canon just felt more solid from a physical perspective. The canon takes up ALOT more space and that ended up being an issue for us, we could just not fit it in. We have had our J75 now for 2 weeks and I am blown away by it. Now we are upgrading from a 260, so it is a MASSIVE step up. Colour consistency so far has been fantastic, the ability to duplex any weight is fantastic and the software tools for alignment and such things are very easy to use and actually do something. I have been setting up profiles for alignment for the different stocks we use and with them, I rarely have to make any adjustments to match front to back, it really is that good. I have had no cons with the machine yet, but it is still new so I am sure in time some things will pop up. But so far I am incredibly impressed with the J75 and it has made things faster and easier in our shop to get things out quickly and with top notch quality.

We were shopping between the two machines (6010vp and J75). I liked both machines, the canon just felt more solid from a physical perspective. The canon takes up ALOT more space and that ended up being an issue for us, we could just not fit it in. We have had our J75 now for 2 weeks and I am blown away by it. Now we are upgrading from a 260, so it is a MASSIVE step up. Colour consistency so far has been fantastic, the ability to duplex any weight is fantastic and the software tools for alignment and such things are very easy to use and actually do something. I have been setting up profiles for alignment for the different stocks we use and with them, I rarely have to make any adjustments to match front to back, it really is that good. I have had no cons with the machine yet, but it is still new so I am sure in time some things will pop up. But so far I am incredibly impressed with the J75 and it has made things faster and easier in our shop to get things out quickly and with top notch quality.

Are you running it in productivity mode? If so, does it have any downsides as far as quality?

We are running in standard mode by default, have not really tried productivity mode as have not felt the need. Another nice thing is you can set to print 1200dpi opposed to standard 600dpi. There is no real noticeable difference on most jobs, but on a few with some very fine images in the background, it made a big difference. On the 260 we would not have even been able to print it, but with this it came out clean and visible.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back