Xeroz Versant 2100

QTab

Can anyone tell me what a reasonable makeready time is?
Sales guy tells the owner "just hit print".
I know that is neither reasonable or true.
I am NOT recommending the purchase, until I have a good handle on what that is.
Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
You should ask what the sales guy means with the makeready time and then ask the sales guy to show the whole process. Versant 2100 does have a lot of automation in the machine which reduces the operation interference at the press. Most of the daily routines are run with just a few mouse clicks.

I am considering make ready to be After the job has been through the RIP, until I am printing salable color.
Make ready is my word.

I think the sales guy is over simplifying things.

You can't just click "print"

You have to use your mouse and right click on the file and THEN hit print. =)

This isn't the offset world where you start running and dial in the color as you go.

If you ran all your shading corrections/auto gradations/calibrations/whatever when you turned the machine on in in the morning, it's little more than just a few mouse clicks.

If I'm having a bad day, my make ready paper is 5 sheets. If I'm having a normal day it's 0. (As long as first sheet looks like what I want, I just hit print again and do the rest of the run.)

It is hard to say what the make ready time is for your enviroment. For color critical work it takes about 2 minutes to calibrate the machine for a substrate. It takes about 3 -5 minutes make an output profile for a specific substrate. If you have to do other adjustments like density uniformity adjustment and front to back registration that takes another 5 minutes.

So with those routines the machine will be occupied for about 15 minutes. That is the time for the machine to be occupied, operator can do something else during the time the machine is doing adjustments.

Before press print you have to do some selections, f.ex. which paper, from which tray, what profiles it uses and what kind of finishing you want to use. Ofcourse all this can be also automated via hotfolders or presets.

Now that is more like what I'm used to, I appreciate your input greatly.
Thanks so much.

It is hard to say what the make ready time is for your enviroment. For color critical work it takes about 2 minutes to calibrate the machine for a substrate. It takes about 3 -5 minutes make an output profile for a specific substrate. If you have to do other adjustments like density uniformity adjustment and front to back registration that takes another 5 minutes.

So with those routines the machine will be occupied for about 15 minutes. That is the time for the machine to be occupied, operator can do something else during the time the machine is doing adjustments.

Before press print you have to do some selections, f.ex. which paper, from which tray, what profiles it uses and what kind of finishing you want to use. Ofcourse all this can be also automated via hotfolders or presets.

Yeah. What he said.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back