XMPie uImage vs. DirectSmile

prajna

Can anyone offer me some information on these two products for image personalization? I saw a uImage demo at OnDemand, and it seems a pretty sophisticated process, incorporating Photoshop/Illustrator filters and image processing for some pretty dynamic content. We've also downloaded the DirectSmile demo software and have dabbled a bit in that.

What I'm really concerned with is; 1) Can DirectSmile do essentially the same things as uImage? It doesn't appear to me to have the breadth of capabilities for image manipulation. 2) Can uImage be purchased alone, or is it a plug-in or module process whereby you have to purchase base software and then an add-on? 3) Any cost ideas (real life purchase examples) for these? I've heard the pricing can be negotiable, at least with DirectSmile.

We've been using DirectSmile for a little over a year and it's an amazing product. I can't imagine any capabilities that uImage would have that DirectSmile doesn't. I know we don't use close to all it's features yet. As far as cost, plan on around $5000 for the initial purchase, then you have a "per image" cost of around $.08 each. Or you can go for the much more expensive "unlimited" plan, but you'd need to be processing several hundred thousand images to make that worthwhile.
A company in Chicago just recently started selling WGN personalized calendars online. They're using DirectSmile with a Chicago theme.
WGN Radio - Personalized Calendars

UImage help

UImage help

We are now using UImage in our department and I noticed that there is also an App. (DirectSmile) that seems similar to Uimage. I've been trying to read up on these and had a question. Someone mentioned that they have been using DirectSmile for over a year now. Has anyone tried to go as far as creating their own type (pebbles, pearls, bubbles). I'm not having any trouble with using regular type and modifying it using shadows, embossed, glows or anything in that sense. Is there a 3rd party app I need to use in order to create these detailed type? I'm using CS2 and not sure if this is something that CS3 has the capabilities to do. please help

Hi Craig. Thanks for the response. I had downloaded the direct mail postcard you posted on the Owner's forum a while back (Vegas lights) showing a promotional PURL mailing you had done. Did you create that with DirectSmile? If so, that tells me the effects I was wondering about to blend the text into the graphic element in a natural way is doable. Thanks again. Don

Any Photoshop and InDesign effect via XMPie

Any Photoshop and InDesign effect via XMPie

I am NOT familiar with Direct Smile, nor am I really taking any "this is better than that" sort of position.

When you are creating effects on type and on images, there are several approaches, some of which take longer or require larger data files. Imagine having a large poster image with a large background that contains personalized type, and you could quickly grasp why using a Photoshop only approach might not make a lot of sence (when type could be vectors, with effects, well, this happens much faster and the file size is MUCH smaller...

I have not run into any limitations with the Photoshop and "InDesign Server" based processing approaches. Pretty much anything you can do within these applications can be applied. I WILL share that you need to be mindfull of the font set - some display font sets in particular have created problems where Acenders and decenders collide or have certain characters (like an em dash) missing.

Hope this helps !

You may also want to check out DirecType. It's only 399 euros (was about $600 when we bought it but who knows now...) and is pretty powerful for the money. We looked at demos of DirectSmile and uImage but couldn't justify the cost. I've done a few jobs with DirecType and it's already paid for itself.

DirecType - Software in a new dimension

Good luck,
Dave

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back